This past year was a breakthrough year for the podcasting industry. Podcasting is rapidly becoming a major component of the global media landscape, with a growth rate of 30% per year.
Podcasting solutions provider, Voxnest released its first annual Podcast Universe Report, which discusses the trends and podcast-related initiatives that occurred in 2018 and what we can expect for 2019.
The report looks at trends and major developments from the past year and provides analysis, insights and predictions on what’s to come in 2019.
Below are some of the key takeaways:
Podcasts are generating revenue:
- Voxnest paid $1 million to podcasters this year, all from advertising
Advertiser confidence is growing:
- Especially with the IAB’s Measurement Guidelines and Certification in place
Media companies are “pivoting to audio”:
- Following disappointing pivots to video with issues compounded by Facebook’s algorithm changes and assorted scandals.
Daily podcasts are increasingly popular:
- Best for news and other timely topics, the format gets a boost from smart speakers and watches
Apple continues to dominate:
- Adoption of Google Podcasts has been underwhelming, but Spotify is posed to give Apple a challenge
Apple Watch has a big impact:
- This is especially relative to smart speakers
To see the full report, please click here.