AppsFlyer is has released the Mobile World Congress edition of its Performance Index Report, which ranked the top media sources in mobile advertising across eight regions around the world during H2 2017.
Report findings include:
- Google is gaining ground quickly on Facebook, but Facebook remains the #1 media source. The good news for other media players is that Google and Facebook’s overall share of the pie has flatlined.
- Fraud is on the rise: The overall share of fraudulent installs has increased 5% since H1 2017. Additionally, since H1 2017 45% of all media sources had MORE fraud while 47% of all media sources had less fraud.
- The gaming media space is not open to change as much as the non-gaming apps. Non-gaming saw a staggering entrance of new players ranked including GlobalWide Media, Liftoff and several others. As savvy UA professionals, gaming app marketers seem to have found their recipe, partnering with networks that have gained the necessary expertise to run campaigns in this ultra-competitive vertical.
- Apple has increased its share of the app install pie since Q4 2016’s intro of Search Ads by no less than 5x by Q4 2017.
- The shift from user acquisition to app engagement has led marketers to increase investment in retargeting leading to the number of retargeting conversions having increased 3x YOY. Facebook and Criteo command the lion’s share of app retargeting conversions.