Study Finds Social Media Drives Content Discovery with Millennials
WAKEFIELD, Mass., June 4, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Marketers have come to realize that churning out mountains of content is not a sustainable or effective way to target its millennial customers. Fortunately, volume doesn’t matter but creating the right content and delivering it consistently – wherever your customers are – does. Millennials turn to social networks for content discovery first, drastically outranking online and customizable newsfeeds, according to a new global study by SDL (LSE: SDL).
These global survey findings are featured in SDL’s third report of the “Five Truths for Future Marketers” series titled “Content Finds the Customer.” This report helps marketers analyze their data to discover what content has the most impact and how to best present it to their target audience. The full report can be downloaded here.
In the midst of this content explosion, digitally savvy millennials are always connected to content and information. In fact, U.S. consumers between the ages of 18-36 are checking their smartphones an average of 43 times a day and if you sent a millennial an email, they likely saw it that day or even the very moment you sent it. Millennials are constantly consuming content and then discerning and sharing what they find relevant on their social channels, so it’s important that the content finds them where and in the way they are trying to engage.
To ensure your content is reaching the millennial generation, the following are a few study results to keep in mind:
- Millennials embrace brands on social media: Five out of six millennials surveyed said they connect with companies on social media networks.
- International markets use fewer channels to discover content: Social networks dominate content discovery amongst millennials, drastically outpacing online and customizable newsfeeds, email and search engines.
- Social media is overtaking email: On average, millennials share six pieces of content via social media a day, which has overtaken email with five shares a day as the de facto channel for sharing content.
- Hyper-targeting is the new norm: Millennials are expecting content that is tailored to them and their needs, whether it is personalized social networks, customized news feeds or music streams that constantly adjust to their changing tastes. 71 percent of survey respondents said they are most likely to listen to hyper-targeted music streaming services like Pandora and Spotify over non-targeted listening options like local radio.
- A prompt reply is a must: Millennials consider speed of response important when they engage or communicate with companies. The study showed a preference for instant gratification approaches, such as online technical support via chat.
“Today’s customers are accessing a wide range of on- and off-line channels to start, stop, rejoin and jump engagement levels, carving out highly individualized paths to purchase,” said Paige O’Neill (pictured), CMO, SDL. “SDL’s survey shows that social is the channel of first choice for millennials, and that will have broad implications for marketing as brands seek to build trust and relationships with this important demographic. We now have the ability to create and target content in context, which means content will truly have the ability to find the customer.”
The study sampled more than 1,800 millennials (ages 18-36) across the globe, with more than 300 respondents in each country including the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Norway, Germany and the Netherlands. It was conducted between January and April 2014. The first data set sampled more than 300 millennials in the U.S. only. The complete results of the first data set of the study can be found here.
SDL (LSE: SDL) allows companies to optimize their customers’ experience across the entire buyer journey. Through its web content management, analytics, social intelligence, campaign management and translation services, SDL helps organizations leverage data-driven insights to understand what their customers want, orchestrate relevant content and communications, and deliver engaging and contextual experiences across languages, cultures, channels and devices.
SDL has over 1,500 enterprise customers, over 400 partners and a global infrastructure of 70 offices in 38 countries. We also work with 72 of the top 100 brands. For more information, please visit www.sdl.com
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Meredith Xcelerated Marketing Recognized with Top Honors at 2014 Content Marketing Awards
- InMobi inks global partnership with Factual to increase Mobile Ad Efficacy for Brands
- Eyeview and LiveRamp Partnership Delivers Powerful Data Solutions to Brands
- Rubicon Project Selected to Power Global Exchange for International Media Group, Future plc
- Evolve Media Further Strengthens Viewability Through Partnership with Moat