Infographic: Journey Through ‘The Garden of Identifiers’
- Written on
- May 21, 2014
- Adotas |
ADOTAS – They say April showers bring May flowers, and here we are in May with everything blooming. Like those pesky dandelions sprouting up everywhere, there’s a profusion of approaches to recognizing and reaching online audiences: cookies, Apple identifiers, Google identifiers, device recognition and more. It’s a regular jungle out there!
To help make sense of this bumper crop of technologies, AdTruth has released a new infographic: “The Garden of Identifiers.” It introduces many of the various approaches, describes their uses, explores the search for a “super identifier” and helps explain the concept of performance.
ADOTAS, founded in 2003, is a premier news publication focused on the Internet advertising and media industry. ADOTAS features a twice-daily email newsletter and web site and is proud to reach well over 100,000 advertising professionals monthly.
ADOTAS was acquired by New York Publishing Group Inc. in May 2007. Our emphasis is on providing the best news and information on media buying, planning, selling, technology and activities of the digital media business to the interactive advertising community. We are proud to have over 100 contributing writers, including the foremost experts in the field.
ADOTAS has built on a tradition of excellence to become the most trusted source of information among leaders in the online marketplace. Professionals read, comment and learn from our publication each day.
This characterization seems really off-base on several counts – particularly on what constitutes a device ‘fingerprint’ and how that differs from ‘Device Recognition’ (most operators I have met would say it doesn’t). I would characterize ID types as follows:
1. Web Cookies
2. Proprietary ID’s: Exist only within the various ‘walled garden’ environments that promote them
3. Software Extension: This is a fairly vague category of tricks/techniques folks use to read or set identifiers that are not normally available; These range from the innocuous, in which consumers opt-in to the installation of a plug-in or other software that will persistently identify them and/or collect their web viewing behavior for commercial analysis (e.g. Nielsen online plugins and utilities) to the malicious (adware, spyware, etc.). Normally I would lump my MAC address into this category since you’d have needed something other than an http request to discover it. This category would also include Flash local shared objects, other plug-in application persistent storage and HTML5 localStorage objects where applicable. I think the authors may have confused this type of invasive identification with device fingerprinting because some vendors of software extension technology have downplayed its seriousness by describing it as ‘fingerprinting’. Unauthorized software extension is where the real invasive, poison identifiers are created and used.
I thought that I would need to back up my assertions from my own experience, but someone has posted a great article accurately characterizing device fingerprinting on Wikipedia under the heading “Device Fingerprint” – check it out. And happy (effective, privacy-compliant) online marketing!
- Posted by Will Clayton | 4:22 pm on May 21, 2014.
Leave a Comment
- Integral Ad Science Releases Q3 2014 Media Quality Report, Now Including Video Advertising Metrics
- Russ Mann, Newly Named CMO at Nintex, Talks The Future of Digital Marketing
- Meredith Corporation Grows Presence in Wedding Market With Mywedding.com Acquisition
- Integral Ad Science Forms Strategic Partnership With Yahoo! Japan
- Bloomberg Partners with adMarketplace As Exclusive Paid Search Partner
Predictive Personalization: How Far is too Far?
Predictive personalization, also referred to as digital hospitality, is one of the rare marketing practices that offers nearly equal benefits ... more...
- Integral Ad Science Releases Q3 2014 Media Quality Report, Now Including Video Advertising Metrics November 18th 2014 Integral Ad Science today released its Q3 2014 Media Quality ...more »
- Russ Mann, Newly Named CMO at Nintex, Talks The Future of Digital Marketing November 18th 2014 Nintex, the world leader in workflow automation, today announced that ...more »
- Meredith Corporation Grows Presence in Wedding Market With Mywedding.com Acquisition November 17th 2014 Meredith Corporation announced today that it has agreed to ...more »
- Integral Ad Science Forms Strategic Partnership With Yahoo! Japan November 13th 2014 Integral Ad Science today announced that it is entering the ...more »
- Bloomberg Partners with adMarketplace As Exclusive Paid Search Partner November 12th 2014 Today, financial, economic and stock news company Bloomberg annouced that ...more »
- Yahoo Acquires Programmatic Video Ad Platform BrightRoll for $640 Million All-Cash Transaction November 12th 2014 Today Yahoo announced a definitive agreement for Yahoo to acquire the ...more »
- Josh Manion, Founder and CEO of Ensighten, Talks Tapping into the Minds of Consumers November 11th 2014 Adobe’s latest announcement regarding Adobe Campaign’s integration in the Adobe ...more »
- 2015 Will Be The Year of Big Data for B2B Marketers November 20th 2014
- Programmatic Advertising Surges Even as Challenges Remain November 19th 2014
- Video Syndication Then and Now: An Industry Legacy By Default November 18th 2014
- Russ Mann, Newly Named CMO at Nintex, Talks The Future of Digital Marketing November 18th 2014
- Beyond the Unified Ad Buy: Why Digital Video and Linear TV Must Coexist November 17th 2014
- Real Time Decisioning/Real Time Business Intellige
- Web Analyst/Digital Media
- Business Analyst
- CMS Business Analyst
- Digital Media Analyst
- l oreal fake tan: Dark sunsation self tanning lotion has botanical extracts, which improve the quality of your skin
- Adaptive Medias, Inc. Announces Agreement to Raise $5.2 Million in Private Placement | SEO BACKLINK: [...] Adaptive Medias, Inc. Announces Agreement to Raise $5.2 Million in Private Placement Sep 17,
- Cracking the Wanamaker Conundrum – 3cseo: [...] Cracking the Wanamaker Conundrum Sep 17, 2014
- New Mobile Ad Report From Millward Brown Digital Shows Location and Social Data Is Critical – 3cseo: [...] New Mobile Ad Report From Millward Brown Digital Shows Location and Social Data Is