The Unexpected Publisher: LinkedIn Delves Further into Native and Influencer Content
ADOTAS – Professionals around the globe flock to LinkedIn as a way to connect with colleagues, network or search for a new job. But behind the scenes, the professional social network has been making its move to join a new breed of publishers – those vying to become a primary destination for premium content. When LinkedIn launched its Influencer program over a year ago, industry thought-leaders queued up for a chance to receive a coveted LinkedIn blogger account that gave them the ability to web publish original articles and share them with the world.
As Adweek reports, LinkedIn is now getting into the content brokerage business, acting as an intermediary between brands and publishers looking to reach a specific audience. For example, LinkedIn is working with technology company Emerson to deliver stories from The Atlantic catered towards female professionals. In order to help the site attract new readers. articles were sent to targeted LinkedIn members and when users clicked on stories, they were directed to an articles page on TheAtlantic.com nested alongside Emerson ads.
Celebrities, politicians and industry heavy-hitters including Richard Branson, Barack Obama, Bill Gates, Meg Whitman and even Deepak Chopra are along the few individuals who have a voice on the prestigious LinkedIn blogger network. Now that LinkedIn has attracted a loyal audience and its readership continues to grow, the company has begun to offer more native ad experiences through “Sponsored Updates” or ad units that companies pay for to show up in people’s feeds.
“LinkedIn realized for some time it has to be relevant outside the HR community to make money,” said Rebecca Lieb, analyst at Altimeter. “Increasingly, it’s becoming a marketplace for thought leadership, marketing products and the marketing of companies as great places to work.”
While LinkedIn is reluctant to comment on any long-term plans to become a major publisher, its purchase of Pulse for $90 million last year reveals how it aims to focus on mobile and tablet content consumption – a smart move as it takes on the likes of Facebook as an aggregate source of news and premium content.
“We’re a technology company,” said Jon Williams, head of global agency relations at LinkedIn. “We’re focused on creating a great member experience on our platform. We don’t intend on creating content ourselves.”
LinkedIn’s Marketing Solutions team made up 25 percent of the site’s revenue in 4Q 2013, of which Sponsored Updates contributed 13 percent.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]