Study: Retailers Spent More on Location-Targeted Mobile Advertising Than Any Other Business Category in 2013
NEW YORK, February 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — xAd, the only global mobile-location ad platform, today released its 2013 Year in Review Report, which outlines the most popular trends in mobile-location advertising in 2013. The trends are derived from the more than 400 billion location-verified ad requests on xAd’s platform last year.
The rapidly-growing retail category, which includes a wide range of shopping types – including brick-and-mortar stores – spent more on xAd’s platform than any other category in 2013, followed by auto (#2), banking/finance (#3), restaurants (#4) and telecommunications (#5). This is significant as retail was only the fifth most popular category in 2012. This jump is indicative of the rapid growth of mCommerce in general, as more and more consumers turn to their mobile devices to make informed and immediate retail purchases.
xAd’s report also explores the continued rise of geo-precise targeting for both local and national brands. In 2013, 96% of xAd’s campaigns used geo-precise targeting, up from 81% in 2012. This included techniques like geo-fencing, geo-conquesting and targeting on search behavior. The increased focus on precise geo-targeting makes sense, considering consumers’ expectations when using their mobile device to aid in a purchase decision. For example, xAd’s Path to Purchase series, released last year, asked shoppers how close they expect a location to be when searching for information on their device — up to 65% said within five miles.
In 2013, the most popular post-click activities overall (a consumer’s first action after clicking on a mobile ad) were calls to a business. However, post-click behavior varied by industry. For retail, the most popular activity after clicking on an ad was to look up directions or maps to a store, demonstrating the power of mobile in this category to create foot traffic to brick-and-mortar locations. xAd successfully tracked over six million in-store visits related to mobile ad campaigns for major retailers in Q4 2013 alone.
“The rise of geo-precise targeting is a testament to how effective techniques like geo-fencing and geo-conquesting are for driving customers to visit retail locations,” said Dipanshu “D” Sharma (pictured), CEO at xAd. “This is particularly true for retailers, where consumers are often looking to make a fast transaction. By Q4 of last year, a third of retail campaigns on our platform had shifted focus away from CTR and towards a primary goal of driving in-store visits. This is a trend that we’ll continue to see grow in 2014.”
In Q4 2014, Columbia, the popular sportswear company, partnered with xAd to increase awareness around its Omni-Heat jacket and entice mobile users to come in-store to experience the product in person. Users were targeted in and around locations offering the jacket with a location-aware message. Post-click users were taken to a custom location landing page that showed contact details for the nearest retailer and one-click access to additional product details and map and driving directions. As a result, (click-through rate) CTR was 52% above industry average.
“Mobile, especially combined with location, can be an extremely powerful tool for not only raising awareness but bringing people into your stores,” said Juli Johnson, Associate Media Director at BSSP. “Highlighting Columbia’s innovative technology and product paired with details on the nearest retailer, we were able to drive even more relevance to the consumer and support retail partners.”
Overall performance on the xAd platform was above average in 2013. Targeted display ads performed nearly 15% above the industry average and search performed 37% higher than current CTR benchmarks.
To download xAd’s full 2013 Year in Review Report, please click here.
xAd helps brands harness the power of accurate location data to produce measurable results from mobile advertising. Through award-winning location technology that is precise, measurable and scalable, xAd’s platform pinpoints target audiences by neighborhood, across the country and around the globe at pivotal moments during the consumers’ path-to-purchase. xAd’s platform drives results powered by search-enhanced targeting, ultimately yielding unparalleled performance. Founded in 2009, xAd serves more than 1.5 million national and local advertisers,while managing more than 30 billion location-verified ad requests monthly. Connect with xAd at www.xad.com, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]