Study: 83% of Consumers Plan to Conduct Mobile Commerce in Next 12 Months
SINGAPORE, February 19, 2014 (ADOTAS) – InMobi, the world’s largest independent mobile advertising company, today announced the results of its 2014 Mobile Media Consumption Report, which provides insights into changing trends in mobile media consumption habits. The 2014 report findings reiterate that mobile devices have become integral to everyday life, but moreover, that trust and reliance on mobile devices has increased and are expected to have a significant impact on mobile commerce in 2014.
Specifically, the report predicts a 15% increase in mobile commerce in 2014, with 83% of respondents planning to conduct mobile commerce in the next 12 months. Mobile has become a key factor affecting purchasing decisions, with 48% of respondents worldwide listing mobile as a key media which impacts purchasing decisions, and reliance on mobile is even higher in important consumer markets, like India, at 60%.
“In last year’s report we found that mobile had touched most aspects of modern life. But this year, we find that mobile has really become an essential part of daily life, even a daily workhorse, that has replaced the desktop and TV for everything from gathering key information, media consumption and accomplishing daily tasks, like shopping and paying bills,” said Naveen Tewari (pictured), CEO, InMobi. “Furthermore, with mobile content gaining similar prominence as TV, mobile advertising is now impacting consumer behavior across the entire purchasing lifecycle from small day-to-day purchases, to bigger purchases, like cars.”
Top Trend #1: Users are spending more time on mobile, period. While mobile already overtook TV last year in overall media consumption, this year more users are going mobile-only for their online access, shunning desktops, and engaging in multi-screening behavior if they do watch TV.
Key 2014 mobile media consumption statistics:
- The average mobile web user consumes 6.0 hours of media per day.
- 60% of the average global mobile web users now use mobile as either their primary or exclusive means of going online.
- Multi-screen behavior is common, 61% of mobile web users engage in mobile activities (e.g., social networking, text messaging) while watching TV.
- Mobile is an important companion particularly for in-between times, 83% of respondents use mobile while waiting for something, and 81% while lying in bed.
- 40% of Indonesians use mobile as their only means of web time, followed closely by 34% in India and South Africa.
Top Trend #2: Mobile advertising is driving purchase behavior at the same level as TV. Mobile has clearly emerged as an influential channel that influences consumer’s purchasing decision process from beginning to end. Of those polled, 87% of mobile users have noticed mobile advertising, and 61% of mobile web users are as comfortable with mobile advertising as they are with TV or online advertising, which is impacting purchasing behavior.
In response to mobile advertising:
- 78% have downloaded an application;
- 68% have visited the website of an advertiser;
- 56% have visited a store for more information;
- 52% have bought something via their mobile device;
- 44% have located an advertiser on a map; and,
- 43% have called an advertiser by clicking on the phone number in the ad.
Top Trend #3: Mobile commerce is rising, an increase of 15% expected this year. With smartphone penetration on the rise, more consumers than ever before are using their mobile devices to research product information and pick a retailer that best meets their needs during the buying process.
Mobile commerce insights include:
- 68% of respondents have spent money on an activity via mobile, and commerce behavior is extending past digital goods, and now includes physical and financial goods.
- 83% are expected to spend money on an activity via mobile in the next 12 months, a 15% increase from today.
- Mobile ads in different formats appeal to different segments.
Implications for businesses and brands: The report shows that the mobile platform can have a real and measurable impact on businesses: The use of location tools, targeted mobile advertising, and responsive websites can drive consumer traffic and dramatically increase sales.
The 2014 Mobile Media Consumption report is published in conjunction with research partners Decision Fuel and OnDevice Research, and includes data from 14,000 users across 14 countries.
The full report is available for download on the InMobi Insights website at www.inmobi.com/insights/on-demand.
InMobi enables the world’s leading brands, developers, and publishers to engage global consumers through mobile advertising. InMobi platforms leverage advances in big data, user behavior, and cloud-based architectures to simplify mobile advertising for its customers. Recognized by MIT Technology Review as one of the 50 Disruptive Companies of 2013, InMobi is the world’s largest independent mobile ad network, engaging 759 million consumers across 165 countries.
- Visit www.inmobi.com, or follow us on Twitter @InMobi.
- Download the InMobi Showcase App on the App Store or Google Play.
- Discover the latest mobile insights at www.inmobi.com/insights/.
- Developers, start monetizing today by downloading our SDK at www.inmobi.com/SDK.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]