Facebook’s 10th Anniversary: Will the Next Decade Surpass the First?
ADOTAS — With Facebook turning 10 today, founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg offered his reflections on The Social Network’s humble beginnings and somewhat surprising evolution in a post on the site today.
Meanwhile, an academic from one of the world’s most prestigious and highly selective business schools offers his view on what the next 10 years will hold for the company.
“Facebook has come a long way since its inception and is now much more than a place to ‘upload pics’,” said Dr. Markos Zachariadis (pictured), Assistant Professor of Information Systems at Warwick Business School. “It is the largest social network in the world, but many are questioning whether it will survive another 10 years. Another innovation and network may come along to threaten its dominant position in the market, but Facebook is in a good position to expand and grow further, thus creating a strong ‘network effect’ and adding new services to keep users engaged.
“Its recent investment in mobile applications, which include the recently launched ‘Paper’ application in the US as well as the acquisition of Instagram, plus efforts to understand better and target the mobile advertising business can ensure it is around for another 10 years and beyond. I can see it going from strength to strength: Predictions for population accessing the Internet from mobile devices in 2017 is an impressive four billion!
“Facebook has a huge amount of data on its 1.23 billion users; lots of companies would pay a big premium to take advantage of that information, which has major implications for marketing. In the age of big data Facebook can capitalize on this user generated data for even better targeted advertising and marketing.
“Facebook has created a rich marketing ecosystem providing solutions for many organizations, who are eager to go beyond the occasional ad and keen to engage with their customers (it is a social network after all). Allowing developers to plug onto its platform through APIs is also a smart move by Facebook that opens the door to additional value propositions for its extensive user base. The successful examples of social gaming, and Zynga more specifically with the successful launch of FarmVille in June 2009, demonstrates the breadth of opportunity within the Facebook ecosystem: Zynga is now a $1.14bn revenue company and until last year 80 per cent of its revenue came from Facebook.
“Security and privacy are two of the most important elements for the success of social networking sites in the near future,” Zachariadis concluded. “Who has access to our digital footprint and the data that we generate throughout our interaction with social platforms are important issues most networks will need to address based on local laws and international regulations.”
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]