5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Now: ‘Walking Dead,’ Acura, GTA, Diet Coke, Olympic Diversity
But which new ads have been setting the Viral Video Chart alight over the last seven days? Which ads have been the talk of the online world this week? Well, here are our five picks:
5. Canadian Institute of Diversity & Inclusion, “Luge”
So far, Russia’s legally-sanctioned homophobia has dominated the international conversation around the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Advertising and branding has not been far behind, with Google’s doodle announcing support for LGBT rights and independent brewery BrewDog releasing a colourful jab at President Putin.
Capturing the zeitgeist perfectly, the Canadian Institute of Diversity & Inclusion released “Luge”, a spot poking fun at the more flamboyant side of Olympic sport.
While certain critics have argued the ad reinforces negative stereotypes, the sharing popularity of the ad reflects a faith-restoring rejection of the host nation’s bigoted policies. “Luge” has been shared nearly 300,000 times since its release last week.
4. Diet Coke, “You’re On”
Popeye had spinach. Banana Man had, well, bananas. For the rest of us, there’s Diet Coke.
At least that’s the contention of the soft drinks giant’s latest spot, “You’re On.” Instead of trumpeting its zero sugar content or funky silver can, the ad proposes Diet Coke as a kind of magical confidence-giver.
As well as imbuing a student with the chutzpah to give a presentation, it apparently also allows Taylor Swift to get through her millionth belted chorus of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.”
Your friendly neighborhood Diet Coke is even there to help your best man deliver a wedding speech – but seriously, though, do we really believe there’s only soda in that glass?
3. foc.us, “GTA 5 Gets Owned by Old Dude”
Back in the sweet halcyon days of the mid-90’s, the most immersive in-game experience was the Nintendo64’s wrist-jiggling ‘rumble pack’. Unsurprisingly, technology has moved along a little in the interim.
Introducing foc.us, a shiny new gaming peripheral that lets pro gamers enhance their performance. While we’re not 100% clear on how it actually works, all you need to know is that looks like something Patrick Stewart would wear in X-Men. If that doesn’t sell you on the technology, I don’t know what will.
The brand’s first spot finds an elderly fellow tapping into the immersive pleasures of GTA 5, Call of Duty and FIFA 14 by strapping foc.us to his head and, presumably, testing the patience of his wife. For more inspiration for your granddad’s upcoming birthday, check out the spot below.
2. Acura, “Let The Race Begin”
Hats off to Acura for endeavoring to mix up the automobile commercial formula a little. While most brands are still content with “smiling guy drives to work” as a pitch, Acura’s latest ad throws out the old and substitutes it with FUTURISTIC ROBOT HORSES. That’s right, I said it – FUTURISTIC ROBOT HORSES.
Set in some kind of dystopian gambling arena, Acura’s latest spot asks the eternal question: Would you rather your car be a freaky, steam-powered horse or just a regular, no-nonsense horse? To be honest, I was half-expecting the snarling robots to turn into the Acura at the end, so that shows what I know about story structure.
Transformers be damned; let’s hope FUTURISTIC ROBOT HORSES gets picked up for a HBO pilot real soon.
1. AMC, “The Walking Dead NYC Prank”
Another day, another random group of citizens terrified for our viewing pleasure. The genre of ‘prankvertising’ really saw its heyday last year, but brands and agencies are still coming up with ingenious ways to freak out the general public. Case in point: AMC and Relevent, New York’s collaboration on a particularly grabby zombie-themed prank.
With a horde of gored-up extras carefully concealed beneath a New York sewer grate, the trap is set. Usually, the real fun comes with spooked passers-by running screaming from the scene, like they’ve just received a “Screenshot” message on a particularly heinous SnapChat.
However, the truly amazing part of ‘The Walking Dead Prank’ is the one gentleman who seems completely nonplussed by the monstrous hands rising from the floor. There’s no fazing New Yorkers, I guess.
– Jamie Fraser
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]