Study: Online Brands Not Doing Enough to Guard Against a Google Penalty
NEW YORK, January 30, 2014 (ADOTAS) — With Google cranking up its war on web spam in recent years, Searchmetrics, which operates an enterprise SEO platform, is warning that website owners – including many top online brands – may not be doing enough to guard against the risk of a Google penalty which could drastically reduce their organic search rankings, traffic and company value.
The company’s software and analysis recently indicated that travel website Expedia.com may have been impacted by a Google penalty which saw its organic search visibility¹ drop by around 25%. Not only is this likely to have caused a drop in traffic and revenue, but it also affected the company stock price and value.
According to Searchmetrics’ evaluation, Expedia.com, may have been penalized for a variety of alleged “unnatural” links to its domain and other important URLs. Many of the links in question were analyzed by Searchmetrics as a probable legacy from an older link building strategy, although they have affected the business today.
It is very easy for website owners and their marketing and SEO teams to fall foul of Google’s rules since it intensified its war against web spam according to Marcus Tober (pictured), CTO and founder of Searchmetrics.
“Google is becoming smarter every day, and many SEO ‘tricks’ that helped sites achieve high search rankings in the past are now seen as signals of spam and are outlawed,” said Tober. “If you have been using these tricks in the past and have done nothing to remedy the situation, you could be walking a dangerous line.”
Google is fighting against sites that attempt to game their way to the top of search results using techniques that infringe itswebmaster guidelines. These techniques are considered bad for search because they can mean relevant websites get buried in search results, and make sites from legitimate website owners harder to find.
Google’s algorithms detect many spam techniques and automatically demote the sites that use them. It also employs teams who manually review sites for spam activity.
Tober advises companies to keep three important questions in mind:
- Do you know if your SEO strategy is violating Google’s guidelines?
- Are you aware of the impact a penalty can have on your sales and revenue?
- Are you aware of what your SEO team may have done in the past that could affect you in the future?
The final question is extremely important because Google is continually evolving its algorithms, making it difficult to know which activities are being targeted.
“Even the excessive use of guest blogging in order to increase the number of in-bound links to your web pages and so improve your search rankings seems to be an issue that Google is clamping down on now,” explains Tober.
And some time ago he says it was very common in the SEO industry to incorporate many keyword links into the footer of company sites. But now such measures may well be counterproductive, since Google is getting better at identifying this kind of ’link optimization’.
It is important that companies who think they may have old links that Google might view as infringements do not just remove all the links at once, notes Tober. The best way to reduce risk is to remove the bad links slowly and substitute them with good new links in order to try and maintain the domain’s search rankings.
“Of course, a single stealth does not automatically lead to a punishment by Google, but the interplay of a variety of infringements increases the likelihood of a penalty if companies do not monitor and adjust their SEO strategy regularly,” Tober concludes.
Searchmetrics is urging website owners to use SEO software such as its own Searchmetrics Suite to learn what aspects of their sites they might need to address in order to ensure they are within Google’s guidelines. More information is available at http://www.searchmetrics.com/en/seo-visibility-drop/
¹Search visibility is an approximate measure of how prominent a domain is within search results. Searchmetrics tracks search visibility using its SEO Visibility score, an index score based on analysis of the search results for millions of keywords which the company studies every week.The index score is based on:
- The number of times a domain appears in the search engine results pages (SERPs) across the keyword set
- Its prominence within those SERPs (a higher ranking equates to a higher visibility score)
- The competitiveness of the keyword (higher search volumes equate to a higher visibility score)
Searchmetrics is the pioneer and leading global provider of digital marketing software and services. It operates the Searchmetrics SuiteTM, an innovative, interactive online marketing and enterprise level Search Engine Optimization (SEO) platform for companies and online agencies. Searchmetrics offers a holistic consulting approach to helping companies and online agencies develop and execute, intelligent, long-term digital marketing strategies encompassing SEO, content and inbound marketing and social media.
The company’s flagship Searchmetrics SuiteTM platform helps customers to define their individual business goals ‒ such as increased ROI ‒ and achieve them by delivering customized insights, forecasts, and recommendations. It provides detailed analysis and data in SEO, social media, content marketing and mobile to create a solid foundation for cross-channel digital marketing campaigns. The Searchmetrics SuiteTM allows users
to shape their own online visibility and differentiate themselves from potential competitors. Through individually scalable traffic and revenue forecasts and simulations, customers can identify how and where they need to develop their online presence, take appropriate action and track their performance against their goals.
The company has offices in Berlin, London, Paris and New York and operates its SaaS software through a network of partners and an online shop. The fast-growing company currently has more than 100 employees. It is backed by the renowned venture capitalist companies Neuhaus Partners and Iris Capital. Many respected brands, such as T-Online, eBay, Siemens and TUI rely on Searchmetrics to ensure they have excellent visibility through intelligent online marketing strategies.
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]