Six Rules to Make a YouTube Brand Channel Rock!
ADOTAS – We’ve all probably heard some of the crazy stats that tell the story of YouTube’s meteoric rise and global impact on society. Just in case you haven’t seen the latest numbers, or if you’re hoping to impress folks at an upcoming cocktail party, here are the most recent stats:
- According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more U.S. adults ages 18–34 than any cable network.
- More than 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube; that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth, and 50% more than was watched in 2012.
- Mobile makes up almost 40% of YouTube’s global watch time.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine, processing 3 billion searches a month.
Just to recap, Millennials, mobile, engagement and search. So what’s not to love, you ask? Well, nothing, assuming you’re ready to invest the time and resources to create an experience that your current and potential consumers will find valuable. But before we cover the six ground rules for success, let’s first talk about the new YouTube One Channel and what it means for brands.
The Launch of YouTube One Channel
It’s been more than eight months since YouTube launched its new design, One Channel. In addition to enabling consistent branding across all devices, the new modifications heavily focus on converting viewers into subscribers.
YouTube’s previous design and functionality restricted brands’ appearances across devices, with no uniform look. This ultimately hindered the viewing experience for users. However, One Channel is designed to work across all devices and platforms. Whether it’s Android or iOS, mobile, Web or TV (small screen or large), the One Channel design scales, which enables viewers to enjoy the same visually compelling, entertaining experience anywhere, anytime. The obvious goal here: increase the amount of time viewers engage with YouTube content — even when they are on the go.
So how is subscribing different now? Once a user subscribes to a brand’s channel page, the brand’s videos and updates will automatically appear on that user’s guide and home page. Subscribing makes it easier for users to navigate to the channels they love, as branded content is conveniently delivered to their home pages. For brands, subscribers are much more valuable than standard viewers, since the former watch twice as many videos as the latter.
Tips for Engaging Subscribers
- Know YouTube’s role and purpose: Develop and implement a YouTube plan that fits into your overarching marketing strategy and aligns with your business goals. Place your target audience at its core. Engage with them in relevant, meaningful ways, and you’ll see your subscriber numbers climb.
- Remember that content is king: It all comes down to the relevancy and richness of your content. Have a content plan in place and update it frequently. Produce, sponsor and license videos that align with your strategy, reflect your brand and resonate with your target. Maximize your budget by being efficient and creative with your approach. For example, share behind-the-scenes footage, feature user-generated content (UGC) and post influencer videos, all of which offer a fresh perspective while building a community of brand enthusiasts.
- Be analytical: Use analytics to ensure that your videos are resonating with viewers and subscribers. YouTube’s native analytics are free and can help you identify and track key metrics so that you can measure, adjust and evolve your content based on performance. You can also monitor user actions on your channel, view referral information, and more by integrating a Google Analytics tracking ID to your YouTube channel.
- Make your first impression count: Design channel art that showcases and celebrates your brand’s personality. Your cover image is the biggest piece of branding on your channel and — thanks to the new updates — is now visible across all devices. Also, take advantage of the new trailer feature, which is easily your best opportunity to convert viewers to subscribers. Remember that this is the first piece of content a non-subscriber will see, so be sure to select a video that dynamically captures what your brand and content are all about.
- Share the love: Expand the reach of your YouTube channel by cross-promoting its content on your other social channels. Encourage your subscribers to share their favorite videos. Include YouTube links in your tweets, and embed videos on your own website.
- Spread the word: Use media to promote your YouTube channel. This is crucial for brands since ads will always help to give your videos an initial lift in views. Ad units were not affected by YouTube’s updates, and TrueView remains a promising ad unit. The following ad formats are available for brands through AdWords: in-stream ads, in-search ads and in-display ads.
Find out if YouTube’s Brand Channels are right for you – download our white paper for more information.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use
- What You Need To Know To Get Ahead In Video Advertising | Setting the PACE: [...] results of new research into online video advertising in the form of this infographic,
- conversion optimization examples | JIM BULDO: [...] SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social MarketingADOTAS, on Fri, 07 Mar 2014