Report: Pinterest Surpasses Email for Sharing Online, Beats Facebook Growth
ADOTAS – ShareThis released new research that reveals Pinterest has outpaced email for the first time to become the third most popular sharing channel overall. With 58 percent growth in 2013, Pinterest also leads as the fastest growing sharing channel, followed by Facebook and LinkedIn.
These insights are part of ShareThis’ second quarterly Consumer Sharing Trends Report, which analyzes consumer sharing behavior from Q4 2013 and the full year across nearly every social channel on desktop and mobile devices. In addition to measuring growth by social channel, the Q4 2013 report looks at geographic and demographic sharing trends, including:
- Pinterest and LinkedIn showed no signs of slowing down: At 58 percent and 40 percent growth respectively in 2013, Pinterest and LinkedIn both outpaced Twitter’s growth, which was 15 percent. On the flip side, email declined 11 percent
- Midwestern sharers preferred Pinterest: Active Midwestern sharers preferred Pinterest more than any other region. Not surprisingly, women in the Midwest share more than the national average.
- Where you live changes how much you share: the share rate in the Northeast topped every other region in the U.S.
- When viewing social activity by channel, regional preferences stood out: Active sharers in the West preferred Facebook and Google+ whereas sharers in the Midwest turned to Pinterest. Twitter and LinkedIn were preferred in the Northeast.
- Timing is everything: People shared most between the hours of 8:00 and 9:00 p.m., but the West Coast started sharing earlier than anywhere else at 7:00 a.m.
- Consumers shared and clicked more than ever in 2013: Compared to 2012, consumers shared 37 percent more often in 2013. Not only is sharing up, but engagement (or click-backs per share) is also up 12.6 percent.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Meredith Xcelerated Marketing Recognized with Top Honors at 2014 Content Marketing Awards
- InMobi inks global partnership with Factual to increase Mobile Ad Efficacy for Brands
- Eyeview and LiveRamp Partnership Delivers Powerful Data Solutions to Brands
- Rubicon Project Selected to Power Global Exchange for International Media Group, Future plc
- Evolve Media Further Strengthens Viewability Through Partnership with Moat