Mdotlabs Warns Of Threat To Marketers From Athena Botnet
MADISON, Wisc. January 29, 2014 (ADOTAS) – MdotLabs, the leading media security platform, warned today of a threat to advertisers and publishers from the recently posted Athena botnet. Although the botnet release has been covered by traditional security firms as a traditional DDos (denial of service) attack threat, MdotLabs research has shown the botnet interface allows it to be easily used to perpetrate ad fraud.
“The Athena botnet was essentially hacked and posted to online forums 90 days ago,” says Timur Yarnall (pictured), CEO of MdotLabs. “While the user interface is quite crude, it’s unfortunately all too easy to use Athena to ‘rent’ infected computers and direct their browsing activity for the purposes of falsely inflating clicks or impressions. Advertisers and publishers should not only take safeguards to protect against this type of activity but also use the Athena release as a chance to learn first-hand how botnets operate.”
Athena focuses primarily on using infected machines running Windows XP operating system and Internet Explorer browser versions to command botnet attacks. Fraudsters using the botnet essentially log into an administration interface and pay per activity to command the network of computers infected by Athena’s creators — thereby allowing the fraudsters to make money by falsely inflating an ad campaign, and allowing Athena to generate revenue based on “rental income.”
MdotLabs estimates that online ad fraud costs domestic online marketers more than $5 billion annually, with global figures exceeding $10 billion in wasted ad spend annually. Additionally, beyond simply noting its availability, MdotLabs notes that Athena is a good example of a botnet that poses an impression fraud threat that can easily evade defense methods such as viewability checks and IP blacklists.
Marketers should take basic precautions such as ensuring that their campaigns do not appear to be served to demographics over-indexing the general population in Windows XP or Internet Explorer users. Advertisers can also check for publisher sites that appear unfamiliar to them but have recently made up a significant percentage of their campaign traffic.
The MdotLabs research team has also posted an in-depth technical blog reviewing capabilities and threats associated with Athena on http://www.mdotlabs.com/blog/.
MdotLabs (www.MdotLabs.com) is a SaaS security platform company created to fight invalid activity in web and mobile advertising. The MdotLabs’ AdSecure™ Platform is used by hundreds of publishers and top brands to identify and eliminate invalid traffic coming from botnets and click-farms that waste billions in ad campaign spend each year.
MdotLabs is privately funded, based in Madison, WI, with offices in San Francisco.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Lotame and Optimizely Partner for Website Content Optimization and Personalization
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- Lotame and Optimizely Partner for Website Content Optimization and Personalization March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Lotame today announced [...] more »
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France March 12th 2014 ROME, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Paid search advertising is [...] more »
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Personalization Isn’t Creepy; It’s a Reality & a Necessity for Success March 12th 2014
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Dave Smith: Bill: Thanks a ton for this. I couldn't agree more. But, I'd take it even one
- Social Media Marketing Tools for Small Business | mobilephonemarketingmethods.com: [...] 5 Successful Marketing Methods in the New Age of Digital Consumption ADOTAS, on Tue,
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand – ADOTAS | Iphones Store: [...] Permalink [...]
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr