LiveRail: 2014 Predictions from CEO/Co-Founder Mark Trefgarne
1. “One of the major MSOs will announce an IPTV service in 2014.” Consumers are growing more accustomed to consuming entertainment on devices other than through their regular cable operator, i.e. tablets, smartphones, OTT internet connected devices like Roku. In recent years, MSOs like Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Cablevision and Charter have been testing the waters to see the viability of creating an IPTV service. For example, Verizon’s rumored purchase of the Intel Media platform. Both Cablevision and Time Warner Cable are offering Roku-like offerings to their subscribers. According to Informa, the global total of pay IPTV homes will more than double to 70 million by end-2014; up from 26 million at end-2009. MSOs realize the new viewing habits of consumers and will look for ways to satiate this appetite by creating new opportunities like an IPTV to introduce to viewers and find a way to monetize these offerings.
2. In 2014, the number of video views on mobile devices will reach 40%. It’s no secret that consuming content on mobile devices is on the rise. According to Adobe, video consumption continued to grow on PCs last year, but 2012 was the year that video on mobile devices gained significant ground. Mobile video views jumped 300% last year, accounting for 10.4% of video starts, up from just 3% in 2011. Tablets are fueling the growth. For many publishers mobile devices represent almost 50% of their total video traffic so we’d expect to see mobile representing about 40% of total video traffic by the end of 2014.
3. In 2014, RTB will reach 25% of video ad spend. Real-time bidding (RTB) continues to increase as more marketers and publishers embrace the greater efficiency and measurability of programmatic technology. As reported by Forrester, RTB will account for 25% of video ad spend by 2014. Additionally the study found that RTB has been the fastest growing segment of the online video business, growing more than 100% from 2011 to 2012 and forecast that it would grow to more than 70% in 2013.
4. Online-only shows like “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black” have become so popular that in 2014, we will see a major broadcaster produce a web-only series. We’re now living in an era of binge watching where consumers are no longer bound by the “cable cord.” Services like Netflix and Hulu are successful because consumers have been empowered to watch whatever show they want, when they want, outside of the home. Broadcasters know this and will be looking for ways to create original online-only content that will be on par with these other successful web-based programs.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]