Adblock Plus: 2014 Forecast for Online Advertising
ADOTAS – Adblock Plus, a leading browser extension for blocking annoying online advertisements, is predicting three things for the new year:
1. We’re Not Gonna Take It!: There is already a massive consumer backlash to online advertising seen by the increase in adblocker downloads year after year. 2014 will be the year that users try and take back their Internet.
2. Ad Industry Response: The ad industry must respond to the juxtaposition of the increase in online ads and the increase in adblockers. The ad industry must deal with the outcry to make ads less intrusive.
3. User Awareness Increases: In 2014 users will shed more light on the black box of online advertising. For years, Internet surfers have been kept in the dark as advertisers experiment with new formats and track users invisibly. But things like Mozilla’s Lightbeam and the rise in adblocking have given users greater ability to gain some control back.
Ad fatigue could be responsible for the consumer backlash on Internet advertising. Ad Fatigue is when people stop looking at ads and start looking at adblocker install instructions instead. Ad fatigue is caused by over-zealous ad bombardment, but who can blame the advertisers? Half-year Internet ad revenue hit a historic high this year, clocking in at $20.1 billion, according to the IAB.
Adblock Plus has recently seen download numbers of 2 million per week. In addition, when comparing September to December 2013 to the same period in 2012, download numbers for this year show growth of almost 60% (59.10%). But if adblocking downloads and ad revenue are both rising, it would seem that someone’s not understanding what’s really going on.
Consider some research:
- According to a recent Adobe study, the least loved ad formats in the US are social media, digital magazines and apps – while favored formats include print and TV ads.
- In the same Adobe study, 0% of respondents preferred to look at an ad in an app and only 2% and 3% preferred ads on social media and news sites, respectively, when compared to other formats.
- Adobe’s study found that 54% of the respondents said that banner ads don’t work. According to another study, the average banner ad has a 0.1% click-through rate (CTR), and the standard banner has a 0.04% CTR.
- In general, video ads are expected to have increased 41.4% year-over-year in 2013.
- Just this week it was reported that Facebook would start serving up video ads right in time for Christmas. Adding to the social media ad blitz are all the planned new formats on Twitter after its IPO filing.
“It has been interesting to watch the trends unfold this year in the world of online advertising,” said Till Faida, co-founder, Adblock Plus. “On the one hand, the 800-pound gorillas are flexing their muscles by increasing their online advertising footprint. And we see positive signs from the advertisers, like the direction toward non-intrusiveness heralded by native ads, for instance. That being said, there are plenty of negative ones, too.
“Going into 2014,” continued Faida, “I anticipate a general trend toward more transparency for end users. With knowledge, people will seek out tools that give them power over their online experience. Advertisers can continue to make money, but they will need to reckon with empowered users who know the tools needed to take back control of their Internet.”
About Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is a community-driven, open source project to rid the Internet of annoying and intrusive online advertising. Its free web browser extensions (add-ons) put users in control by letting them block or filter which ads they want to see. Users across the world have downloaded Adblock Plus over 250 million times. It has remained the most downloaded and the most used extension almost continuously since November 2006. PC World rated Adblock Plus as a top innovation in its 100 Best Products of 2007 list, and in March 2010 the project collected the Linux New Media award for the Best Open Source Firefox Extension.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]