4 New Video Ads You Should Watch Now
In this week’s round-up a rubber dinosaur gets hungry, a miniature wrecking ball causes problems and a new band proves they are the bees knees. So it’s fair to say this week’s offering is anything but boring.
So sit back and put your feet up, enjoy yet another crazy week in AdLand!
4. University Of Alberta
Forget whether they were warm-blooded, had feathers or turned into birds, there is only one fact you really need to know about dinosaurs – they are not to be trusted.
Sure, we may have turned them into movie stars and cute toys, even got them to host popular children’s TV programmes. But let’s not forget that behind the silly songs and Disney eyes lies the heart of a cold-hearted killer.
After all, they are not named ‘terrible lizards’ for nothing. It is a cold, hard fact that the ‘kids’ in a new video promoting the University of Alberta’s free online paleobiology classes learn to their cost.
The ad is a parody of Barney & Friends, and stars Jurassic George, a rubbery Allosaur who sings songs to his posse of ‘friends’ explaining some of the myths around dinosaurs.
However, unfortunately for George’s ever-dwindling posse – clearly adults dressed as kids – the slobbering carnosaur’s animal instincts soon kick in.
As he sings when dispelling the myth that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, “We were never meant to be friends/Even though it’s fun to pretend/If we’d been in the same places/I would’ve eaten all your faces”.
The ads are hilarious (if a little sinister) and are definitely worth a watch.
The first video is below. If you want to watch the rest, click here.
3. Bloom FM
Forget The Beatles, there’s a new insect-based sensation in town – and this one has legs (18 to be be precise).
To promote its new free downloads, music app Bloom FM has launched its first-ever ad campaign, featuring The Bee Band - a group comprised entirely of, yes, you guessed it, bees.
But if you thought this was just a cheap gimmick to attract internet buzz, guess again. There is some soul in these stingers.
Yep, that’s right, The Bee Band’s funky tune is as sweet as honey and is sure to have you tapping your feet for weeks.
The animation of the bees is also fantastic, and the concept of the ad works really well. The only thing I would question is the launch date (December 24). As we know, the first three days of any ad’s viral success are crucial, and I fear releasing a campaign on Christmas Eve, when web traffic slows down, will not be enough to generate enough early momentum.
It has so far attracted a respectable 70,000 views, but hopefully the web will soon be abuzz to the sound of The Bee Band.
2. HPI Racing
Move over Ken Block. There is a new guy in town that can also do seemingly impossible stunts with cars. Only difference is, he is doing it without sitting behind the wheel.
That’s right, over the years we have seen many pretenders to Block’s crown. All have failed. But thanks to a new ad from radio-controlled car manufacturer HPI, we may well have a new king.
Sure, doing your own Gymkhana using a remote-controlled car may lack the voluminous tyre smoke and the throaty engine noises of the originals, but it is no less impressive.
In fact, with Gymkhana now becoming a bit old hat, it’s nice to see something new and fresh.
I am not the only one who loves it. The ad has so far been shared almost 35,000 times, which is an incredible start, but still a long way off the success of the Gymkhana series.
Let’s face it, we could all do with a pick-me-up. If you are like me, you are just about recovering from your holiday hangover and the biting greyness of January is starting to take hold.
What we need is something to look forward to. Something exciting and preferably sunny. Well, ESPN has just given us a welcome reminder.
Its epic new spot for the World Cup in Brazil, which starts in June, is just what the doctor ordered.
It’s flashy, action-packed and nostalgic - enough to get you dreaming of what is sure to be an amazing sporting summer spectacle.
And I am not the only one excited. Launched less than 24 hours ago, it has already racked up more than 127,000 views and almost 5,000 shares.
– David Waterhouse
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]