OPINION: 2014 Will Be the Death of Mobile Advertising
ADOTAS – If 2013 was (finally) the year of mobile advertising, 2014 will be the death of it.
Not because the importance of mobile will diminish. Rather, it will become so vital to marketers that the idea of planning mobile in a silo will quickly seem dated.
Consumers already move freely between screens, one device complementing the next. Marketers need to think the same way, planning across screens, not in silos. Look no further than industry bellwethers like Google, Facebook and Twitter. All have moved away from selling mobile, instead selling across devices.
Key to success in any marketing effort is understanding what motivates our customers to purchase. On this front, mobile devices will drive a more complete view of attribution in 2014.
The white whale of attribution has always been in-store visits. To what extent does a campaign drive people to stores? With location-based services, we’re starting to understand this in a much more complete way, and marketers will embrace this data in the New Year. They’ll do so with a clear acknowledgement that privacy needs to be at the forefront of these, and all other, digital marketing efforts.
In short, we need to rethink mobile marketing, acknowledging that the collective efforts of the industry have been completely insufficient. All too often, marketing lags woefully behind actual consumer behavior. To date, this has most certainly been the case in mobile.
If this doesn’t change in 2014, marketers risk alienating their customers. The promise of advertising relevance will fall on deaf ears as marketers roll out 2010 tactics to a 2014 consumer.
There’s too much innovation in the mobile ad space for any real erosion to be expected this year – Airpush, Millennial Media, and social giants like Twitter and Facebook are four companies that are the ultimate insurance against this industry’s failure.
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]