Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter
NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new survey of 10,337 people who are active in social media found that when it comes to product and service recommendations, Facebook was the most trusted platform; over two-thirds (68%) say they trust Facebook over Pinterest (56%), YouTube (51%) and Twitter (41%). The vast majority of survey respondents (93%) are women; 70% of respondents are ages 25-44.
The Social Recommendation Index, sponsored and conducted by advocacy activation company Social Media Link, also found that quality, not quantity counts. 77% said that fewer than 10 reviews compel them to make a purchase decision.
“During the holidays when everyone is looking for trusted information on what to buy, recommendations from your social circles on Facebook will carry the most credibility,” says Susan Frech, chief executive officer, Social Media Link. The company has over 350,000 socially active enthusiasts in its network. “Undoubtedly, the survey found that people don’t need hundreds of recommendations and reviews to entice purchase, it’s really about receiving a quality message from a trusted source.”
The study underscores whose reviews have the biggest impact on purchase decisions, with celebrity reviews holding the least credibility.
- 86% say reviews by friends and family have the biggest impact.
- Slightly more than one third surveyed are swayed by blogger reviews (39%).
- Only 11% said a celebrity review has the most impact on a purchase decision.
Personal Stories Better than Star Ratings
According to 40% of those surveyed, the most valuable reviews are those that contain personal stories, rather than a list of product benefits, which were most valuable to 34%. Those ubiquitous star ratings are less prized, a scant 15% say they’re the most valuable in influencing purchase.
Reviews Mostly Prompted by Good Experiences
The study also explored why people share their opinions online and found that a positive experience with a brand was a primary driver of online reviews, 78% said they shared based on their experience. Less than half, 47%, said a negative experience prompted a review.
Whether or not a review was prompted by a freebie impacts the trust value.
- 86% say they trust friends and family who received a free product in exchange for a review.
- 68% say they trust friends and family reviews that are pay for play.
- Free blogger reviews also rank high, 76% say they are trusted.
- Only 45% trust paid blog reviews.
Respondents’ Demographic Profile:
- 93% Female; 7% Male
- 1% Under 18
- 10% 18-24
- 41% 25-34
- 29% 35-44
- 14% 45-54
- 4% 55-64
- 1% 65 or older
The Social Recommendation Index is an online quantitative survey, which was issued to all members within the Smiley360 (smiley360.com) community in October, 2013. 10,337 respondents from Smiley360’s community answered a 20-question online survey. For questions about the survey, please contact Jordan.Herrmann@socialmedialink.co
About Social Media Link
Social Media Link (SML) www.socialmedialink.co is the leading advocacy activation company that amplifies social media conversation for brands. The company makes it easy for brands to activate impactful and trusted reviews and recommendations across social media, triggering in-store action and leading consumers through the path to purchase. SML’s brand activation platform, Smiley360.com, is a social community for influential people who love brands. Marketers utilize the platform to activate targeted consumers to experience their brand and share reviews with the social networks they influence. Proprietary Single-Click Sharing™ technology makes it easy for consumers to feed reviews to their most preferred social networks in one place, giving brands enormous exposure in social channels from passionate consumers
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use