Report: Video Advertising in Online and Mobile Games Is Poised for Growth in 2014
SAN FRANCISCO, November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Spil Games, a global leader in online gaming, today released its 2013 State of Online Gaming report. The survey not only draws on global data from Spil Games’ platforms, but also a wide range of other industry insights to create a comprehensive analysis of how the market has evolved and how it is set to develop in the coming years.
Commenting on the report, Oscar Diele (pictured), Chief Marketing Officer at Spil Games, said, “Although the power of online gaming has been talked about for a while, insight into the market is still quite disparate. Almost every day we come across a deep hunger and appetite for figures and analysis. Ultimately, gaming is a huge part of everyone’s online behavior, with games being played by both men and women of all ages. That offers real benefits to brands and advertisers.”
Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities, added, “Gaming is a huge part of people’s online and mobile activities, and for advertisers this presents a significant opportunity. Today, the advertising budgets assigned to gaming by brands are less than the total digital spend. This report clearly demonstrates why brands need to incorporate their media buys into online and mobile gaming.”
10 key findings:
- Online gaming is a top online activity, just behind watching videos.
- Of the 700 million global online gamers, 46% are women.
- Online gaming offers high penetration in emerging markets, such as Turkey where 70% of the Internet population is playing games.
- Mobile gamers are affluent, with 59% earning in excess of $75,000.
- The most popular game categories in the US varied between girls, boys, men and women:
|Girls||Boys & Men||Women|
- Adult women tend to play games primarily to break away from their daily routine and at the same time get some mental stimulation.
- Games such as Sara’s Cooking Class have a cross-generational appeal with mothers and daughters playing together.
- Tween girls like to act out grown-up situations they recognize (for example, pretending to have a job or be a parent) to help them feel independent.
- Boys and men are focused on competition and showing off high scores.
- CTRs for video ads on gaming sites are roughly 15 times higher than those for standard online advertising campaigns and Facebook ads.
“What’s really important for advertisers, however, is that people playing online games are immersed for long periods of time,” added Diele. “At Spil Games we’re witnessing the same high volumes of regular players and engagement rates that many other reports are pointing to. For instance, across our 180 million monthly active users we’re seeing average session times of 30-40 minutes, which is more than double the session time on YouTube. These are session times similar to TV, which give brands the perfect platform to reach their target audiences online and across mobile.”
To read the full report, please click here.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]