UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’?
ADOTAS — A New York waiter claims that Jack Selby, former Senior VP for Corporate & International Development at PayPal, is the person who has been leaving extravagant tips for servers all over the U.S., according to several news outlets.
An Instagram account called “Tips For Jesus” has chronicled the history of the extremely generous gratuities left by an anonymous benefactor. According to the International Business Times (IBT), the owner of the account, which has nearly 50,000 followers, posted its first photo of a restaurant receipt on Sept. 8, showing that the customer had left a $3,000 tip on an $87.98 bill at an eatery in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Instagram’s listed motto is “Doing the Lord’s Work, one tip at a time.” Among the other “Tips for Jesus” was a $7,000 bonus added to a tab of $2,994.61 at another NYC location.
The IBT reports that the latest posted tiip on the Instagram acocunt was for $1,000 on a bill of $411.05 at a restaurant in New York. A server there identified the tipper as Selby (pictured), who made most of his fortune when PayPal was sold to eBay in 2002 for $1.5 billion.
Selby’s LinkedIn profile indicates that he currently serves as managing director of both Clarium Capital Management and Grandmaster Capital Management; owner of GreenStreets Cleaners in the San Francisco Bay area; and chairman of Incognito Pictures in the L.A. area.
UPDATE: Silicon Valley news/gossip site and Gawker subsidiary Valleywag first outed Selby as the man behind Tips For Jesus on Dec. 4.
No comments yet
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]