3 Reasons Why You Need To Look Beyond The Cookie
ADOTAS — Over the past month, the Adotas “Voter’s Booth” offered a series of questions that looked into what device identification technologies marketers and advertisers are using today for identifying and targeting their campaigns. The findings were quite surprising – here’s a quick recap:
- For desktop, 98 percent of respondents rely on cookies, with the remaining 2 percent relying on outsourced technologies or in-app identifiers such as Android ID and Apple’s IDFA.
- For mobile, 93 percent of respondents rely on cookies, 5 percent rely on in-app identifiers, and the remaining 2 percent on internal property solutions or outsourced technologies.
- By Q4 2013, 99 percent of respondents plan to use thecookie as its primary audience identification technology.
As is often true for a decadent dessert, cookies were the crowd favorite. This tracking and measurement tool has been around since the early days of online advertising, but has experienced extreme decay – as expected – over the years. So why haven’t we made the switch to a better, more sustainable identification solution? Is the industry too comfortable, and feels safe sticking to what we know or are we that afraid of change? Whatever the logic may be, here are 3 reasons why we need to look beyond the cookie, and soon.
1. Cookies are Easily, and Frequently, Deleted. Just last year, an independent study that measured the decay rates of cookies found that some cookies are seeing a shelf life of only 60 seconds. Whether it’s due to privacy concerns or safety precautions, browsers have made it easy for consumers to opt out or disable tracking cookies. The bottom line: there’s really no way to justify spending money on a tool that may not last for even one minute.
2. Cookies & Mobile Don’t Mix. My first response to the finding that 93 percent of people rely on the cookie in mobile was, “Really?! People are actually using cookies in mobile?!” Cookies have proven to be virtually irrelevant and useless on mobile, and are more of a shot in the dark for marketers in this channel. Marketers relying solely on cookies for mobile are, in essence, throwing money away, and going in blind to the audiences they’re actually targeting.
3. The Industry Needs a Universal Approach. Advertisers are feeling the frustration, even on the desktop, as up to 50 percent of web users’ browsers are sending “Do Not Track” signals — so much so that advertisers are considering abandoning these signals all together, according to an article in Business Insider. More than ever, the industry needs a universal device identification solution that not only honors the requests of consumers and is privacy-compliant, but is also effective for the marketer and is compatible across both desktop and mobile devices, further easing marketers’ frustrations.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]