3 Imperatives For Making Online Video Live Up to the Hype
On one hand, online video ad spend is expected to top $4bn this year (growing at a greater than 40% clip year-over-year). On the other, even with that level of growth, the dollars spent online are dwarfed by traditional television spend, which was well over $60bn in 2012.¹
In this context it’s easy to understand the attitude of some media execs who, to adapt the old joke about the sport of soccer in America, feel online video is the future of media – and always will be.
The outlook need not be so bleak, however. The reason large brand campaigns have stayed on the sidelines has more to do with the structure of the online video landscape in its current form, and less to do with an inherent flaw in the medium.
Specifically, there is a need in the market for a premium online video outlet that supplies three critical factors: editorial control, transparency and scale. For network directors, this is more possible today than ever, through the “gated community” model of online video.
1. Editorial control
As the name would imply, a gated online video community is exclusive. This means the avoidance of the oft-cited pitfalls of UGC-based networks. It is brand safe – i.e. free of hate speech, violent or sexually explicit content, etc. — and there is a minimum standard for production value.
The key is a “default to no” approach. In other words, the onus is on the producer to demonstrate their content is high enough quality to be allowed in, rather than the common open door policy, which relies upon reactive policy enforcement wherein the user base serve as identifiers of the bad apples.
Advertisers are (rightly) demanding greater visibility into both position — publisher URLs, above-the-fold vs. below, player size, etc. — and context their video placements, even more so than in the largely commoditized display space. This is ultimately bad news for networks built on syndication and blind network buys, but will unlock value of true premium producers and the gated community publishers who license and distribute their content.
Quality and transparency are vital, but meaningless without the reach to make the whole effort interesting to marketers. Fortunately, the landscape has evolved toward near real-time content discovery. This removes the barriers to entry for new, high-quality content producers and their publishers who can build audiences at a much faster pace than years past when Google search was the only show in town.
Media-to-media marketing platforms like Taboola and Outbrain provide near-immediate access to massive audiences for any publisher with a budget. Social media channels — both paid and owned — similarly offer massive exposure for quality content without the crippling time and expense of building large search-engine optimized web properties. Upstart video networks emphasizing quality can build audiences with reach and speed like never before.
Network directors who follow the gated model solve the fundamental issues on each side of the coin in the current online video landscape:
- Large brands / advertisers need not worry about the risk inherent in UGC-based networks.
- Quality content producers can attain premium CPMs rather than sinking to the “lowest common denominator” of open networks.
Easy? No. Possible? Definitely.
After all, with Major League Soccer setting attendance records year after year, perhaps the future has finally arrived.
¹ eMarketer “Key Digital Trends for 2013”.
The largest content style ad platforms -
Google – 206.3 million monthly uniques – http://www.quantcast.com/google.com
Adblade – 199.3 million monthly uniques – http://www.quantcast.com/p-b8GPCpJxfqYm2
Vibrant media – 106.1 million monthly uniques – Comscore Jan 2013
Outbrain – 92.1 million monthly unique – http://www.quantcast.com/outbrain.com
Kontera – 61.5 million monthly uniques – http://www.quantcast.com/kontera.com
AOL – 40.8 million monthly unique – http://www.quantcast.com/aol.com
Taboola – 39.8 million monthly unique – Comscore Jan 2013
Pulse 360 – 39.6 million monthly uniques – http://www.quantcast.com/pulse360.com
Nrelate – 3.1 million monthly unique – http://www.quantcast.com/nrelate.com
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new [...] more »
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews December 9th 2013 AUSTIN, Texas, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Bazaarvoice, Inc. (NASDAQ:BV), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Google’s Disavow Tool: The What, Why and How December 9th 2013
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than