Today’s Burning Question: Andrew Mason’s Ouster as Groupon’s CEO
Today we asked out panel of industry leaders: What can be learned from the series of events that led to Thursday’s ouster of Groupon CEO Andrew Mason?
Here’s how they responded:
“”Andrew Mason’s taking the fall, but the market has steadily lost confidence in Groupon, because their model is ungrounded in sound economics. Groupon for merchants is a game-changer in the sense that a flood is a landscape changer. They do not foster long-term customer acquisition, encouraging switching rather than loyalty — anathema to any brand builder.” --Vijay Sundaram, head of sales and marketing at SocialTwist.
“Several things can be learned from the ouster of Groupon’s CEO, Andrew Mason. The first is the oldest maxim in business, what comes up must come down. We have seen this with Groupon. Beyond that, we are seeing with Groupon and other sites that the age of the massive discount sites is ending. Merchants want to see an ROI and were not seeing it with Groupon. Additionally, they were seeking data tracking that wasn’t being properly provided. I expect some of the deep discount sites will go out of business, and those that remain will put a greater emphasis on providing an ROI for merchants.” – – David E. Johnson, CEO, Strategic Vision, LLC.
“It was very honorable for Andrew to write that letter and to have it shared publicly – he did the right thing and was very humble about it. The one thing we’d advocate, however, is that CEOs should fix the “lack of data” issue and get the data they need. Data and intuition aren’t mutually exclusive and we will always need the human aspect of understanding the insights that data provides. Big data, right now at least, is best used when helping automate decisions that CAN be automated (such as identifying customers who are about to have issues with their product, or planning inventory based on consumers past buying habits, geography and profile, etc). Lack of data shouldn’t be an excuse as it’s easily fixed. Our customer Where had an intuition and strategy about how to make their product better and used Big Data to help execute on it.” – Ron Bodkin, CEO of Think Big Analytics.
More to come…
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than