More articles by Atul Patel
How Producers and Publishers Can Stave Off a Video Drought
Everyone knows the Rime of the Ancient Mariner: “Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.” Unfortunately, this song may soon apply to video.
Freewheel’s 2012 Video Monetization Report indicates that the growth rate for video-viewing volume rose only 7% from Q3 2012 to Q4 2012, while the growth rate for video ad views more than doubled that of video views. While more ad views seem like a good thing at first glance, FreeWheel warns, “If new opportunities for distribution and syndication aren’t created and more content isn’t made available online, advertising revenue potential will stall, as there is a limit to the number of video ads that can be placed in a single piece of content.”
How is it that the industry has been unable to keep up with advertiser demand when there are so many producers and publishers arriving onto the landscape? OneScreen’s answer: not enough creativity and risk-taking by the companies behind television and other traditional media, from Fremantle Media to Clear Channel. Instead, what flourishes are smaller companies that produce short-form, Internet-only video clips and websites, built to garner both video audiences and short-term ad revenue from brands – the same brands that should be funding more quality content. Thankfully, there are simple, existing solutions that media stakeholders can use to create more quality video inventory without having to start from scratch.
For Producers: Start by experimenting with existing content
Content owners should evaluate their existing videos for new uses, because their potential use doesn’t start and end at the first placement. The same video can be repurposed for many contexts if you allow yourself to experiment.
- Turn long-form into short-form. You may already be syndicating your long-form content, but why not edit it into micro shows, clips, and highlights for niche and online publishers who make short-form content their specialty? Clips are becoming popular forms of content; see MovieClips’ deal with YouTube/Google and Hulu, where you can see SNL sketches individually.
- Repurpose older content. Go through your archives because quality content will always be valuable. Just because content may be older, doesn’t mean there’s not an audience for it anymore. People are still discovering ’90s favorites like Full House or Saved by the Bell on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Syndicate to publishers that include older content in their offerings (e.g., blogs, channels on streaming players, and IPTV services).
- Use supplementary assets such as B-Rolls, behind-the-scenes footage, interviews, and making-of content, if these are available. Think of the bonus features on DVDs and shows like FX’s DVD on TV series. If there’s an audience for your main content, there’s potentially an audience who will appreciate the extra content.
For Publishers: Build as many new content relationships as possible
Audiences continue to become more fragmented, and you must establish a presence everywhere to reach them and provide them with as much content as possible to fulfill their ever-increasing appetite. Don’t just publish your own content or be limited by existing syndication partnerships. That may have worked for you in the past when your audience didn’t watch much video, but now you should work with as many content companies as possible, including those you never even considered before.
- Traditional channels are not enough. You need a presence on every screen where the audience is watching. Publishers need to make sure they have a channel for everything from web browsers to connected TVs. Content owners will partner with you just to build viewership and revenue. The AMC-Nerdist partnership for the show The Walking Dead is a smart example of the types of relationships the industry needs more of.
- Niche out. There simply isn’t enough time in the day to meet growing demand for interest-specific content through linear programming alone. Audiences want content dedicated specifically to their favorite hobbies and interests. Publishers and content owners can tap into this by partnering to deliver more niche content for non-linear channels. For example, food and wine producers can probably get a lot of value from short-form how-to videos that bloggers, cooking sites, and streaming channels will want to buy, while a travel publisher would be smart to create channels for connected device applications or IPTV services around granular content categories, such as traveling with kids, tropical destinations, or local attractions.
Simply put, we’re living in an era where audiences will always choose more content if we give them the choice. And where there’s more content, there are more opportunities for advertising revenue for the producers and publishers, and more quality inventory for advertisers. In fact, some of these dollars are already sitting on the table. As FreeWheel notes, “Advertiser demand for ad placement in rights-managed digital video content is at the highest level since this data was first reported in Q3 2010 and continues to outpace video viewing growth rates.” The audience viewing trends presented in FreeWheel’s report should serve as a call to action for producers and publishers alike to keep the industry fluid by getting creative with their content offering and syndication strategies. There’s a wellspring of new opportunities available when stakeholders think outside of the box and make more content available at every audience touch point.
Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing
very good success. If you know of any please share.
Leave a Comment
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Have social media platforms pinterested you in how [...] more »
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems June 19th 2013 ADOTAS EDITOR’S NOTE: Editorial Intern Nikki Frammartino routinely scours online media for [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Advertising legend David Ogilvy once said, “If it [...] more »
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data June 19th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK, June 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — [...] more »
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013 ADOTAS — Did you forget that your friend’s birthday is [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar June 19th 2013 ADOTAS -– Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013 ADOTAS – As you may have noticed, mobile real-time bidding [...] more »
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013
- Vice President, Business Development
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Mediasmith - » Mediasmith -: [...] Medialets As Official 3rd-Party Server For Mobile/Tablet Advertising NEW YORK, June
- ReputationArmor.net - Online Reputation Management, Mobile Marketing, Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Social Engagement, and SMS Marketing Campaigns that work !!!: [...] Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR CodesADOTAS, on Mon, 17 Jun
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | - Suaju Lean Management: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | Social Commerce Tomorrow - Media Marketing: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]