More articles by Naseem Javed
Bookworms Attack Dot Book: ICANN & the Generic Name Dilemma
The sleepy corporate world is now discovering that the wide-awake generic top-level domain name holder is now poised to play the upper hands in the global cyber name branding warfare. They are right, as the winners and losers of the global name games will now line up in their respective queues.
According to CNET today, The Author’s Guild and Association of American Publishers is seriously opposing the idea of Amazon owning top-level domain names like .book, .author, or .read etc. Barnes & Noble has also objected in this matter.
Why the panic? Three reasons: lack of appreciation of global domain name expansion, lack of interest when for years these available options were openly discussed, and lack of knowledge about global naming complexities impacting overly stretched trademark registration systems.
Fact: The ownership of a top-level domain .book does not “threaten the openness and freedom of the Internet and would have harmful consequences for Internet users worldwide,” as mentioned in the letter to ICANN by Barnes & Noble, the owners of www.book.com since 1998.
Fact: A generic name is in public domain, and therefore no one is threatened by its use by anybody else. Anybody can use “book” in any shape or form. The top-level domain sale based on first-come basis or auctions in multiple applications is an open and fair game in business. No one has the right to decide if the largest or the smallest book distributor should have the right to own such ‘cyber naming channel’. In a free economy, no outside party can decide how and why a business creates a powerful names to achieve its goals.
Fact: Lack of knowledge is the number one problem in this game. ICANN at the outset seriously lacked in its marketing message to lay out the necessary clarity while the opposition advertising agencies of the world used all kinds of fear mongering to kill the top-level domain name expansion and avoided any intelligent debate. ICANN is now releasing its big agenda to bring innovation and creating endless new opportunities in the global naming and positioning games.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Have social media platforms pinterested you in how [...] more »
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems June 19th 2013 ADOTAS EDITOR’S NOTE: Editorial Intern Nikki Frammartino routinely scours online media for [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Advertising legend David Ogilvy once said, “If it [...] more »
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data June 19th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK, June 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — [...] more »
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013 ADOTAS — Did you forget that your friend’s birthday is [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar June 19th 2013 ADOTAS -– Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013 ADOTAS – As you may have noticed, mobile real-time bidding [...] more »
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013
- Vice President, Business Development
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Mediasmith - » Mediasmith -: [...] Medialets As Official 3rd-Party Server For Mobile/Tablet Advertising NEW YORK, June
- ReputationArmor.net - Online Reputation Management, Mobile Marketing, Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Social Engagement, and SMS Marketing Campaigns that work !!!: [...] Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR CodesADOTAS, on Mon, 17 Jun
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | - Suaju Lean Management: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | Social Commerce Tomorrow - Media Marketing: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]