Bookworms Attack Dot Book: ICANN & the Generic Name Dilemma
The sleepy corporate world is now discovering that the wide-awake generic top-level domain name holder is now poised to play the upper hands in the global cyber name branding warfare. They are right, as the winners and losers of the global name games will now line up in their respective queues.
According to CNET today, The Author’s Guild and Association of American Publishers is seriously opposing the idea of Amazon owning top-level domain names like .book, .author, or .read etc. Barnes & Noble has also objected in this matter.
Why the panic? Three reasons: lack of appreciation of global domain name expansion, lack of interest when for years these available options were openly discussed, and lack of knowledge about global naming complexities impacting overly stretched trademark registration systems.
Fact: The ownership of a top-level domain .book does not “threaten the openness and freedom of the Internet and would have harmful consequences for Internet users worldwide,” as mentioned in the letter to ICANN by Barnes & Noble, the owners of www.book.com since 1998.
Fact: A generic name is in public domain, and therefore no one is threatened by its use by anybody else. Anybody can use “book” in any shape or form. The top-level domain sale based on first-come basis or auctions in multiple applications is an open and fair game in business. No one has the right to decide if the largest or the smallest book distributor should have the right to own such ‘cyber naming channel’. In a free economy, no outside party can decide how and why a business creates a powerful names to achieve its goals.
Fact: Lack of knowledge is the number one problem in this game. ICANN at the outset seriously lacked in its marketing message to lay out the necessary clarity while the opposition advertising agencies of the world used all kinds of fear mongering to kill the top-level domain name expansion and avoided any intelligent debate. ICANN is now releasing its big agenda to bring innovation and creating endless new opportunities in the global naming and positioning games.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than