Bookworms Attack Dot Book: ICANN & the Generic Name Dilemma
The sleepy corporate world is now discovering that the wide-awake generic top-level domain name holder is now poised to play the upper hands in the global cyber name branding warfare. They are right, as the winners and losers of the global name games will now line up in their respective queues.
According to CNET today, The Author’s Guild and Association of American Publishers is seriously opposing the idea of Amazon owning top-level domain names like .book, .author, or .read etc. Barnes & Noble has also objected in this matter.
Why the panic? Three reasons: lack of appreciation of global domain name expansion, lack of interest when for years these available options were openly discussed, and lack of knowledge about global naming complexities impacting overly stretched trademark registration systems.
Fact: The ownership of a top-level domain .book does not “threaten the openness and freedom of the Internet and would have harmful consequences for Internet users worldwide,” as mentioned in the letter to ICANN by Barnes & Noble, the owners of www.book.com since 1998.
Fact: A generic name is in public domain, and therefore no one is threatened by its use by anybody else. Anybody can use “book” in any shape or form. The top-level domain sale based on first-come basis or auctions in multiple applications is an open and fair game in business. No one has the right to decide if the largest or the smallest book distributor should have the right to own such ‘cyber naming channel’. In a free economy, no outside party can decide how and why a business creates a powerful names to achieve its goals.
Fact: Lack of knowledge is the number one problem in this game. ICANN at the outset seriously lacked in its marketing message to lay out the necessary clarity while the opposition advertising agencies of the world used all kinds of fear mongering to kill the top-level domain name expansion and avoided any intelligent debate. ICANN is now releasing its big agenda to bring innovation and creating endless new opportunities in the global naming and positioning games.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me!
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV