Performance Marketing: Mobile to Drive Record Revenues in 2013
Performance marketing is setting the stage for a banner year in 2013. Expanding digital ad budgets and options, new screens and platforms, big data, and industry and technological convergence will all move the performance marketing industry forward at an unprecedented pace. New opportunities will open up and take shape, while challenges will continue to emerge and test the sector, leading to a stronger, smarter, and more prosperous industry.
Already taking shape are opportunities created by steady growth in digital advertising and performance-based marketing spend. Total online ad revenue jumped $9.3 billion in 2012 to a record $26.3 billion, surpassing 2010’s year-end $26 billion mark. While 2012 Q4 numbers are not in yet, we know from Q1-Q3 data that mobile growth broke through the noise, and tablets greatly outperformed smartphones in most categories. The consistent rise in digital advertising expenditures, and the promising trends we see in mobile – with tablets leading the way – signal a vibrant and still strengthening performance-marketing industry.
Also, contributing to the industry’s growth opportunities and intelligence is big data. More precise data is becoming increasingly available and malleable, allowing for finer audience definition and message targeting, producing more profitable campaigns with tighter ROIs. Further, as data application and parsing continue to evolve, more top global advertisers and agencies will move to performance-based advertising and new enterprise marketing platforms. At the forefront, will be top U.S. display advertisers that will more efficiently leverage data to target markets with audience-specific messaging in industries such as telecom, financial services, retail, and travel. Of course, more data will create higher demand for more sophisticated technology, tools, and industry participants – all pushing performance marketing forward.
Other factors shaping the industry’s prosperity are its flexibility and emerging convergence. Programs are increasingly scalable, cross-platform business models are becoming more available, and multi-screen platforms are being adopted on a broader basis, all leading to greater revenue and efficiency opportunities. The most important opportunity however, lies within the industry itself, as traditionally segmented channels and interests converge and with one voice, push forward comprehensive research, associations, and conferences.
As with any other growing industry, performance marketing will be tested in 2013. Regulation, taxes, and data tracking and brokering, will make the most noise in the coming year, with the industry’s strength and unity tested at each touch point. If the cohesion in how the industry responded to recent challenges such as the Affiliate Nexus Tax question prevails, the performance-marketing sector will not skip a beat in facing other tests.
Bigger budgets, more data, new platforms, growing mobile, the question of regulation, and a converging industry will drive and shape the performance marketing industry in 2013. An already strong, prosperous, and smart industry, will only have the opportunity to shine and outperform in 2013.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use
- What You Need To Know To Get Ahead In Video Advertising | Setting the PACE: [...] results of new research into online video advertising in the form of this infographic,