Paid Search Prices Continue to Rise; Better Returns in Social
Paid search for online retailers can become a spend suck, and price for keywords is still on the rise. In the second quarter of 2012, Google reported a 42% increase in paid click revenue. While more targeted and relevant ads can make the rising price of paid traffic worth the investment, many companies are beginning to find themselves upside down in their paid search campaigns.
Increased prices of traditional paid search campaigns and escalated allegations of click fraud are sending many marketers searching for alternatives to traditional paid search ads, and has made many of them second guess their paid search investments. But there are other options that can connect online retailers with more qualified customers for less money; many of these techniques fall under the umbrella of “social commerce.”
Supporting social interaction that seamlessly flows with the e-commerce shopping experience not only gives current shoppers the chance to discover new products and engage with online retailers, but also drives shoppers to invite their friends to shop with them. These invitations often drive thousands of dollars in new revenue and have a viral effect that can turn one customer acquisition into five, ten, or even more.
Online retailers that have mastered the art of using an onsite engaging social experience to bring in more customers organically, rather than through paid search, are finding their money better spent on creating a social experience that leads to higher conversions and more incremental revenue than from money spent on paid search campaigns.
Apparel retailers have been seeing on average $26 in new revenue per user-generated social invitations, while electronics retailers are getting close to $40 for each invitation in addition to organic customer acquisitions. For campaigns that can generate thousands of shares in relatively short time frames – this can mean a significant revenue bump.
Paid search is still a necessary element of marketing mixes but as it continues to become more costly, and many agree, less effective marketers may want to search elsewhere and consider new marketing tools like social integration as a more effective way to bring in new shoppers.
- Pingback from Social Media and Search: The Impact of a "Like"
Leave a Comment
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]