Paid Search Prices Continue to Rise; Better Returns in Social
Paid search for online retailers can become a spend suck, and price for keywords is still on the rise. In the second quarter of 2012, Google reported a 42% increase in paid click revenue. While more targeted and relevant ads can make the rising price of paid traffic worth the investment, many companies are beginning to find themselves upside down in their paid search campaigns.
Increased prices of traditional paid search campaigns and escalated allegations of click fraud are sending many marketers searching for alternatives to traditional paid search ads, and has made many of them second guess their paid search investments. But there are other options that can connect online retailers with more qualified customers for less money; many of these techniques fall under the umbrella of “social commerce.”
Supporting social interaction that seamlessly flows with the e-commerce shopping experience not only gives current shoppers the chance to discover new products and engage with online retailers, but also drives shoppers to invite their friends to shop with them. These invitations often drive thousands of dollars in new revenue and have a viral effect that can turn one customer acquisition into five, ten, or even more.
Online retailers that have mastered the art of using an onsite engaging social experience to bring in more customers organically, rather than through paid search, are finding their money better spent on creating a social experience that leads to higher conversions and more incremental revenue than from money spent on paid search campaigns.
Apparel retailers have been seeing on average $26 in new revenue per user-generated social invitations, while electronics retailers are getting close to $40 for each invitation in addition to organic customer acquisitions. For campaigns that can generate thousands of shares in relatively short time frames – this can mean a significant revenue bump.
Paid search is still a necessary element of marketing mixes but as it continues to become more costly, and many agree, less effective marketers may want to search elsewhere and consider new marketing tools like social integration as a more effective way to bring in new shoppers.
- Pingback from Social Media and Search: The Impact of a "Like"
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than