Hotmail to Be Retired; DSPs to Lose Cheap Retargeted Ad Space
A source close to Microsoft told Adotas last week that Hotmail will soon go the way of the dinosaur and its replacement, Outlook.com, would be free of ads. In response, a spokesperson for Microsoft confirmed the former but denied the latter.
“Outlook.com does have ads,” said the spokesperson (appropriately) via email. “As always, we put the consumer’s needs and engagement at the very forefront of our ad experience – making sure the ads are relevant, engaging, safe, and make sense in the context of the core consumer experience.
“We continue to host Hotmail for the hundreds of millions of people that use Hotmail,” continued the spokesperson. “Hotmail users who want to upgrade to Outlook.com can do that using their existing @hotmail address. Eventually, we will retire the Hotmail user experience and all Hotmail customers will be upgraded to the Outlook.com experience. Their @hotmail.com email address will continue to work; all email, calendar, contacts, and folders will be moved. We think Outlook.com is the best email service in the world; we’ve taken the best of Hotmail over to Outlook.com and we truly believe Hotmail customers will enjoy the upgraded experience.”
Hotmail was among several low-cost, low-performance, high-volume ad spaces that DSPs used to retarget ads on. Its impending retirement will now leave Yahoo Mail to carry the load, likely to Yahoo’s growing benefit.
Oddly enough, The Atlantic reported last summer that Hotmail was the world’s most popular email service, followed by Yahoo Mail and Google’s Gmail.
I still remember the first time I received an email from someone that had a FREE email account via something called “hotmail.” It was circa 1992? 93? I was like whooa FREE email!? Amazing.
The question is; … why?
There must be some brilliant marketing reason behind the decision to retire the most popular email service on the planet, but my feeble, media-challenged brain cannot imagine even one advantage.
- Pingback from Hotmail Shame: The Digital World's Social Pressures And Netiquette Dilemmas | Samuddra.info
- Pingback from Told Ya So: AP Confirms Hotmail’s Demise
Leave a Comment
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers December 12th 2013 ADOTAS – Adobe just announced results for its fiscal year that [...] more »
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing December 12th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Marketo , provider [...] more »
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands December 12th 2013 SALT LAKE CITY, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Online marketers [...] more »
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel December 12th 2013 LONDON, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Audience insights company VisualDNA [...] more »
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding December 12th 2013 FORT WORTH, TX., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Simpli.fi, an [...] more »
- MyCityWay Partners with USA TODAY to Launch Vegas-Themed App December 12th 2013 NEW YORK and MCLEAN, VA., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – [...] more »
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War December 12th 2013
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond December 12th 2013
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand December 12th 2013
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Stephen: Your new autoplay video commercials are REALLY annoying. It means I cannot leave your story
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial