Hotmail to Be Retired; DSPs to Lose Cheap Retargeted Ad Space
A source close to Microsoft told Adotas last week that Hotmail will soon go the way of the dinosaur and its replacement, Outlook.com, would be free of ads. In response, a spokesperson for Microsoft confirmed the former but denied the latter.
“Outlook.com does have ads,” said the spokesperson (appropriately) via email. “As always, we put the consumer’s needs and engagement at the very forefront of our ad experience – making sure the ads are relevant, engaging, safe, and make sense in the context of the core consumer experience.
“We continue to host Hotmail for the hundreds of millions of people that use Hotmail,” continued the spokesperson. “Hotmail users who want to upgrade to Outlook.com can do that using their existing @hotmail address. Eventually, we will retire the Hotmail user experience and all Hotmail customers will be upgraded to the Outlook.com experience. Their @hotmail.com email address will continue to work; all email, calendar, contacts, and folders will be moved. We think Outlook.com is the best email service in the world; we’ve taken the best of Hotmail over to Outlook.com and we truly believe Hotmail customers will enjoy the upgraded experience.”
Hotmail was among several low-cost, low-performance, high-volume ad spaces that DSPs used to retarget ads on. Its impending retirement will now leave Yahoo Mail to carry the load, likely to Yahoo’s growing benefit.
Oddly enough, The Atlantic reported last summer that Hotmail was the world’s most popular email service, followed by Yahoo Mail and Google’s Gmail.
I still remember the first time I received an email from someone that had a FREE email account via something called “hotmail.” It was circa 1992? 93? I was like whooa FREE email!? Amazing.
The question is; … why?
There must be some brilliant marketing reason behind the decision to retire the most popular email service on the planet, but my feeble, media-challenged brain cannot imagine even one advantage.
- Pingback from Hotmail Shame: The Digital World's Social Pressures And Netiquette Dilemmas | Samuddra.info
- Pingback from Told Ya So: AP Confirms Hotmail’s Demise
Leave a Comment
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]