Five Quick Tips for Making the Most of Google’s Product Listing Ads (PLAs)
According to Marin Software‘s findings, in the last year the click share of PLAs as a percent of total search clicks increased 210% as consumers increased their engagement with the ads, which appear as image results in Google Search and as product listings within Google Shopping.
Google transitioned Google Shopping to a commercial model in October 2012, and the bet appears to be paying off. Marin’s research reveals that advertisers increased their share of search budgets directed towards PLAs by nearly 600% in the last quarter of 2012.
Below are six quick tips for success with Google’s Product Listing Ads.
- Freshness of the Merchant Center feed is critical. PLAs aren’t “set it and forget it” campaigns. To be effective, retailers need to maintain their feed and continuously optimize their product targets. This means deploying granular targets and integrating an automated bidding solution.
- Image of the ad is important. As PLAs are imaged based a quality image and relevant image is key. If someone is searching for a certain make or model of a product, the image that appears needs to be of that make and model. General quality of image is important as well.
- Listing price will come into play much more with PLAs than standard text ads. Retailers will want to make sure the price that’s listed is competitive compared to the ads from other vendors and is accurate.
- Advertisers running both PLA and text ads have an opportunity to gain more real estate on the search engine results page. Advertisers should keep promotions and product messaging consistent across ad formats.
- Focus on the long-tail and expand it. PLAs appear most on long-tail search queries. Prioritize setting-up PLA Ads on more specific product searches, as oppose to generic search queries. You’re more likely to match the right image and creative with the query by focusing to this level of granularity. Also, use keyword expansion tools to identify new long-tail keywords and expand your PLA impressions.
- Understanding of this ad format is in its early days. Make sure you test creative, images and pricing in the beginning to get a better understanding of how this new ad format behaves for your brand and product compared to traditional text search. Continue to optimize the best performing combinations.
Great post. We’ve also done a graphic on this with our take on it:
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge CPM Email Advertising Showing ‘Google-Like’ ResultsKANSAS CITY, Mo., December 16, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge’s email channel, AdStation, has announced CPM-based pricing for email advertisers and [...] more...
- Oracle Buys Responsys, Creating the World’s Largest Modern Marketing Cloud December 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Oracle has acquired marketing cloud leader Responsys for [...] more »
- Rocket Fuel Lets You Choose Your Charity, Issues EOY Infographic December 20th 2013 ADOTAS — As we wrap up 2013 and head into [...] more »
- Report: Fraudulent Web Traffic Tips the Scale in the United States December 20th 2013 NEW YORK CITY, December 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Solve Media issued [...] more »
- Are Tablets Taking Over? Study Says 55 Percent of Consumers Would Consider Replacing PC With Tablet December 20th 2013 NEW YORK, December 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adroit Digital today [...] more »
- The Year in Tweets: Love, Hate and Brands December 20th 2013 ADOTAS — A new report from NetBase that reveals what consumers [...] more »
- Research Study: Holiday Retail Tactics Breed Mistrust Among Millennails December 19th 2013 ADOTAS — It’s an opportunity for progressive retailers to [...] more »
- eXelate Expands Global Data Coverage Through Strategic Partnership With French Company SirData December 19th 2013 NEW YORK, December 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — eXelate, the leading [...] more »
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now! December 20th 2013
- What Will Publisher Biz Dev Teams Look Like by 2015? December 20th 2013
- Navigating The Wild West of Data Analytics: 6 Steps To Help You Get There December 20th 2013
- An Agency Perspective on Attribution December 19th 2013
- Leverage the Value of the Second-Screen Trend – Now and After the Holiday Shopping Season December 19th 2013
- Internet Marketing Manager
- Director of Platform Excellence
- Reporting & Analytics
- Sr. Account Manager: Advertising client management
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Oracle Buys Responsys, Creating the World’s Largest Modern Marketing Cloud: [...] Salesforce’s acquisition of ExactTarget earlier this year, large enterprise software companies are increasingly looking
- Scott Pannier: MdotLabs has a product that advertisers, agencies, and publishers can leverage to try and weed
- Bob Gordon: How can an honest publisher stay in business having to compete with the tiny CPM's
- Dick Bennett CEO: I'm sorry, but posting a "release" like this, and calling it "news", is just plain