Don’t Be That Guy (or Bot)
We work in an electronic industry, and as such, one might think that email would be an appropriate form of communication. At least that’s the notion with which I decided today to reach out to some prospective new industry contacts and apprise them of available editorial opportunities at Adotas.
Imagine, then, my surprise at receiving an automated response email from one company instructing me to delete all contacts within its domain, while also spelling out the finer details of the CAN-SPAM Act.
And also, this tersely worded email from an allegedly real human being:
“Please remove us from your list. We did not subscribe to it. I can’t find the unsubscribe link. Also, you wrote the word, ‘hell,’ not hello. You should have your spam emails proofed.”
Wow, a combination spam/grammar cop. How often does one encounter those?!?
Again, we work in an electronic industry. If you can’t tolerate an unsolicited email offering you FREE coverage of your business, there’s a cabin in the woods I’d like to sell you.
In other words: Lighten up, Kaczynski.
So, are you telling us that is fine to spam your email account with varying offers from pharma products to financial ones without your previous approval to receive such commercial messages?
IMHO, your approach to direct marketing is so 1980′s. Are you really aware of all the changes taking place in, at least, the last 10 years?
I’m saying that not all unsolicited emails are created equal. This was not direct marketing … no commerce involved. It was about press coverage. The subject line was “Editorial opportunities with Adotas.”
To your other point, I get as much spam email as the next guy. I choose to not let it make me crazy. It’s pretty easy to tell the legit emails from tbe spam. I find that the Delete button is also a handy tool.
Lastly, if you know if some amazing new and more convenient way to communicate electronically, I’m sure our readers would love to know about it.
Sorry, man, but unsolicited email is unsolicited email, no matter how kind or loving your intention. There are other ways to communicate electronically that are not intrusive, irritating, etc, or that reflect poorly on your organization, which your campaign does. For example, opt-in newletters, advertising, your website, SEO optimization, etc etc etc. In other words, other methods that do not make you look like a spammer. Please do reconsider your methods.
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Sprint and DigitasLBi Develop First-of-its-Kind Gesture-Based Retail Experience December 5th 2013 CHICAGO, December 05, 2013 (ADOTAS) — DigitasLBi, a global marketing [...] more »
- The Exchange Lab Secures $8 Million in Growth Capital Funding From BGF December 5th 2013 LONDON, NEW YORK & TORONTO, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – The [...] more »
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves December 4th 2013 FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) -– Zimmerman Advertising [...] more »
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Native has become [...] more »
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery December 4th 2013 DURHAM, NC, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Appia, the leading mobile user [...] more »
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM December 4th 2013 Kitara Media Acquires Top Health Video Site HealthGuru.com from Kitara [...] more »
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising December 4th 2013 EMERYVILLE, Calif., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Today, TubeMogul was [...] more »
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Take the Time to Do Native Right December 2nd 2013
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]
- How to improve your website's SEO - Business Record |: [...] the sites don't really …The 10 Most Cringe-Worthy SEO Myths Ever ToldBusiness 2 CommunityBig
- Gamers Gain Elite Status with Cadillac Campaign | Raldo Loijens: [...] a push to brand the elite gamers as Cadillac Elite. Cadillac Elite is being
- David: I hope my SEO-customers with semi-big brands do not read this - they might be