Will 2013 Be the Year of ‘Programmatic Premium’?
There has been a lot of debate lately about the definition of programmatic buying and selling of digital advertising. For most people, programmatic means computers doing things instead of humans — think program trading on a stock exchange. Real-Time Bidding (RTB) fits this definition nicely: the computers use algorithms to decide which impressions to buy, how much to offer, who wins and at what price.
GOT AN OPINION? PLEASE COMMENT AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE!
Programmatic buying has benefits for buyers: It is easier to buy lots of inventory, it is easier to pick through to find just the inventory that’s wanted, and because there’s tons of inventory available, it’s a lot cheaper than other methods. There are also seller benefits: They save on sales costs, and, by having multiple bidders, increase the value of their inventory.
What’s missing from this picture is the “premium” part — the value created during a process that involves both the buyer and the seller working together to increase the benefit to both. Marketers can get access to publisher first-party data, publishers can craft special packages and placements, and publishers can offer to lock up scarce inventory with a guarantee. This value-add is what makes the inventory “premium.” But, by their very nature, these are things that resist “programmatic” automation. This is why 80% of the market is still sold directly, and why even the most optimistic pundits don’t predict more than 50% of the market going to RTB any time soon.
Of course, this only considers the sales process. Other parts of the execution, like sending tags, trafficking flights, changing orders during a flight, reconciliation, and billing, are all tedious, often-manual tasks that could benefit from automation. This suggests that there is worth in “programmatic execution” that still respects the value of direct selling.
So, if there is “programmatic premium,” it would seem to include the following:
- A direct sales force that can close deals quickly without a tedious RFP and IO process.
- Sales planners empowered to analyze, package, and sell any audience target.
- consultative sales approach that marries the best of publisher content and data with the marketer’s goals.
- “Programmatic execution” that helps automate campaign execution and billing.
Fortunately, several companies are engaged in building these platforms today, so 2013 may well be the year of “programmatic premium.”
- Pingback from Selling More Inventory as Premium: Helping the Ad Sales Team Increase Sales with Less Hassles
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]