More articles by Richard L. Tso
Online Video Search Is Here: New App Enables Viewing of Up to 9 Simultaneous Videos
Ever wanted to find just the right video for your next business presentation, lecture or viewing party? With so much multimedia content scattered across the Internet, Vuemix addresses a need to have an easy way to search, stream and watch videos from a single aggregated platform. Released this week, the new iPad app gives users the ability to preview multiple streaming videos across different categories like: Sports, Movies, Fashion, Technology, News and Music – all from your tablet computer.
(SUBSCRIBE TO THE ADOTAS NEWSLETTER AT THE
BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE!)
While the new app touts the ability to view up to 9 videos on the screen simultaneously to help simplify video selection and consumption, personally this may lead to sensory overload. This streaming technology with multiple active video windows lets you see what is happening on each web video channel, much like the picture-in-picture function that is available in most televisions. I must admit, though, that this feature is pretty cool and reminds me of staring at several security camera feeds at the same time, all on one screen.
Started by founder and CEO Govind Kizhepat, Vuemix operates not only as a consumer application, but also as a platform. He tells us that by dynamically combining multiple video clips into a “single video stream of active video tiles, the Vuemix platform is able to deliver a custom interactive experience that is not possible using today’s conventional video platforms.”
What sets this new app apart from competing platforms, is its built-in search algorithm that mimics Google’s text-based search functionality. People can use Vuemix to search for videos in the same way to perform a text search by simply entering in a topic that interests them. They are they presented with search results in video format and can instantly choose which video they wish to view.
As VentureBeat reports, Yahoo, Google, and other video companies crawl the web for video. Vuemix takes this one step further. It indexes the pages, but it also grabs the videos and indexes them continuously. Then it separates the videos into categories. Extracting video is an extremely complex matter, Kizhepat said.
“We have a sophisticated browser emulator in the crowd to grab the videos,” he said. “Once it is grabbed, it is indexed. Then, once it is indexed, we cache it. Caching has been around for a while” with companies such as Akamai. But as a user, you click on a video and they send you one video stream. With Vuemix, the videos are dynamically transcoded (converted instantaneously) in the cloud and mixed into a single stream. It changes the formatting from HTML5 to Flash or another format, as needed.
Another cool feature built into the app, is the ability to create personal video ‘mixes’ to share with your friends on Facebook. People can select their favorite clips and string them together into a visual collection that friends can view at their leisure, on their own device.
According to Kizhepat, “The app has been in beta with about 200 users and we have been tuning the performance and making the UI better for the last 9 months.”
The Vuemix platform gives content creators the flexibility to create immersive and customizable multi-tile video experiences akin to the new Windows Tiles interface on new Microsoft products. Vuemix is fully compatible with existing Web and HTTP standards, and replays video formats dynamically across iPads, Android devices, Apple laptops, and Windows desktop computers. You can upgrade your app for a $2.99 in-app purchase after a “trial” period. The app works with version 5 of Apple’s iOS operating system.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Have social media platforms pinterested you in how [...] more »
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems June 19th 2013 ADOTAS EDITOR’S NOTE: Editorial Intern Nikki Frammartino routinely scours online media for [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Advertising legend David Ogilvy once said, “If it [...] more »
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data June 19th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK, June 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — [...] more »
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013 ADOTAS — Did you forget that your friend’s birthday is [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar June 19th 2013 ADOTAS -– Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013 ADOTAS – As you may have noticed, mobile real-time bidding [...] more »
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013
- Vice President, Business Development
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Mediasmith - » Mediasmith -: [...] Medialets As Official 3rd-Party Server For Mobile/Tablet Advertising NEW YORK, June
- ReputationArmor.net - Online Reputation Management, Mobile Marketing, Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Social Engagement, and SMS Marketing Campaigns that work !!!: [...] Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR CodesADOTAS, on Mon, 17 Jun
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | - Suaju Lean Management: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | Social Commerce Tomorrow - Media Marketing: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]