More articles by Molly Glover Gallatin
Finding the Keys to Social Success
While we have officially moved past the shock of the social media Big Bang, much of social is still uncharted territory. Many marketers are still trying to “crack the code” by attempting to cram social media into a tidy E=MC2 equation that can solve their ROI questions. Truth be told, there is no magic formula for social triumph. However, one key element will never steer you wrong: customer data. And while you were frantically searching for the keys to social success, your audience was driving away without you. Ready to get on board?
Brands can spend a fortune on advertising and paying someone to manage their social content, but the secret to social ROI lies in leveraging social networks as free real-time focus groups. What are your Fans and Followers talking about, watching, reading and listening to? Did they check-in at the Cheesecake Factory last night? Were they chatting about last week’s episode of “The Bad Girls Club”? Do they share articles from Us Weekly? Paying close attention to your customers and the content that inspires them will enable you to foster engaging conversations that allow you to further gauge their opinions and preferences. Posting away with no insight into whether or not content will resonate with your audience will only reaffirm what’s not working; if you listen closely, your audience will tell you what they want to hear.
Accumulating this breadth of audience intelligence will also allow you to effectively map your off-social marketing strategies to your best and prospective customers’ real-time interests, actions and behaviors. Marketers should aim to not only capitalize on social media itself, but instead to understand how to leverage the intelligence garnered from social across other media channels. For example, by paying attention to fans’ social chatter, a restaurant brand may discover that customers miss an old menu item and dislike its replacement. A protein bar manufacturer targeting moms may find that, in fact, their best, most engaged audience is body builders. Or, a tech brand could discover that its Fans are avid watchers of “The Big Bang Theory,” and choose to showcase their product during that show. In each case, social data can be used to shape valuable marketing and product decisions that lead to increased ROI. Furthermore, social insights can be used to build out off-social data from in-store purchases, lead gen campaigns and other sources to tell a bigger and richer story about your audience and how they behave online.
Finally, by keeping a close ear to your audience, you will be able to more quickly and easily pinpoint your brand advocates. Brand advocates are those who are willing to actively share and re-tweet your message – in other words, a free marketing channel. Empower these super fans to assist with your online marketing by sharing exclusive content, posting coupons, asking for feedback and more. Leverage these brand advocates as community leaders to influence the purchasing decisions of others. And, with the right technology, targeting segments can be modeled after these power users to reach others with similar profiles that are more likely to engage with your brand.
Variables, unsolved equations, and the ROI “mystery” aside, focusing on your social audience will never steer you wrong. Best case: You’ll gain important information and data that you can leverage across channels to drive business results. Worst case: You deepen relationships with your customers through honest, respectful conversations. Really, it’s a win-win. Once you know your audience, you’ve found the keys to social success.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – The first-ever Westchester Digital Summit was held on May [...] more »
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Strong marketing strategies attract attention and build the [...] more »
- Adotas Poll: Tremor Video IPO Would Be A Success May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – In this week’s poll, we asked our readers: [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – We’ve asked our esteemed panel of industry thought [...] more »
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – Tony Stark aka Iron Man is restless. The [...] more »
- Pandora is First Digital Publisher to Offer e-Business Advertising Integration into Media Buying Platforms May 16th 2013 OAKLAND, CALIF., May 15, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Pandora (NYSE: P), [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game May 15th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Backlinks uk: Within search engine optimisation (SEO), one way links reference hyper-links aiming to a distinct Website
- energy-physics: Media.net is a fantastic ad program. But now a days I cant customize their ads.
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? – Adotas | Social Media Strategy Plan: [...] Permalink [...]
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements?: [...] “What will be the impact of the big announcements coming out of this week’s