App Annie: Gap Between iOS, Google Play is Narrowing
App Annie, the app store analytics and market intelligence provider for the global app economy, published its January App Annie IndexTM analyzing major app publisher revenue and download trends across the iOS and Google Play app stores worldwide. The Index reveals very interesting and largely untold insights on what’s driving growth on both platforms, and which publishers -– both established as well as up and comers -– are poised for success.
Below are some of the key findings included in the report:
- iOS still dominates but Google Play closing the gap: Closing out the year, Apple remained the leader in app store revenue, earning over three and a half times that of Google Play in December 2012. However, Google Play revenue continued to accelerate at a faster pace, doubling from Q3 to Q4.
- Asia driving explosion of Google Play: Interestingly, revenue growth on Google Play was driven by Japan and South Korea, which contributed close to half of Google Play revenue in Q4. Japan still led in revenues on Google Play for December, followed by the U.S. and South Korea.
- Games drive revenue, but not downloads on iOS: On iOS, games drove revenue growth and photo and video apps drove downloads over the past year. Game revenue increased by 73 percent comparing December 2011 to December 2012.
- EA is back on top: Electronic Arts regained the number one spot in this month’s publisher rankings by revenue on iOS, anchored by the strong performance of “The SimpsonsTM: Tapped Out.”
The full Index has many more data points, relating to download growth as well as the highest-performing apps around the world.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Sightly Launches First Video Ad Platform for Local Market
- DataXu Marries Personalized Storytelling and Programmatic with Acquisition of JasperLabs
- LinkedIn Launches Sponsored Updates API and Partner Program
- MediaMath Acquires Tactads to Enable Cookieless, Cross-Device Targeting and Measurement
- Rocket Fuel Publishes 11 Best Practices for Programmatic Advertising