You’re In The Game: Activision, MEC and Millennial Media Partner to Launch ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops’ 2 in UK
LONDON (December 05, 2012) — Activision, MEC Global and Millennial Media (NYSE:MM), today announced a new mobile advertising campaign around the launch of “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2,” the latest installment of one of the most popular video game franchises in the world.
The campaign is the first to use Millennial Media’s new Photo Shoot rich media feature, which leverages the camera functionality of mobile devices to present an interactive, social experience not possible in any other medium.
The creative unit is running as both an expandable banner and an interstitial, and when a consumer encounters the ad, an image appears of an official “Call of Duty: Black Ops” soldier, with a custom animation in the background featuring white smoke moving across the screen. The consumer is then prompted with the ability to call up their camera, and once a picture is taken, the face of the person in the photo is inserted onto the image of the soldier, bringing out “the soldier in all of us.”
Once the custom image is created, users are given the option to download the picture or share via social media. A second ad unit in the campaign allows consumers to send a tweet from directly within the creative, giving them another opportunity to organically raise awareness around the game release and create additional earned media for the brand.
“The campaign actively encourages consumers to interact with the ad, and lends itself perfectly to social media and viral sharing,” said Alex Hicks, Account Manager, MEC Global. “Mobile presented us with a creative way to connect consumers with the Call of Duty brand, and present them with an experience unlike anything they had seen before. “
“The Photo Shoot ad unit is one of many rich media features we offer that takes advantage of the native capabilities of the mobile device,” said Gavin Stirrat, MD, EMEA, Millennial Media. “One of the inherent advantages to advertising in mobile is the ability to leverage these uniquely mobile features, and this is an example of how to do that in a way that will boost engagement.”
The campaign is targeted to gaming enthusiasts and men 18- 34, and is running on both Android and iOS devices. From within both ad units, consumers can also visit the official ”Call of Duty” mobile-optimised website, where they can view game trailers and order the game directly from their device.
Activision, MEC and Millennial Media previously teamed up to launch “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3″ in 2011. The game became the largest entertainment launch of all time and grossed over $1 Billon in 14 days. For this year’s “Call of Duty” release, Millennial Media was Activision’s exclusive UK mobile media partner.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages
- Wired to Share: New Research from ShareThis and Digitas Reveals Important Insights into Digital Sharing Behavior of Moms
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar
An Interview with Jasper Mullarney, VP of Direct Response Advertising, AdknowledgeADOTAS — Industry Veteran Jasper Mullarney is Vice President of Direct Response for Adknowledge, the fourth-largest digital marketplace behind only [...] more...
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS — Landing pages represent the tipping point for affiliate [...] more »
- Wired to Share: New Research from ShareThis and Digitas Reveals Important Insights into Digital Sharing Behavior of Moms May 22nd 2013 PALO ALTO, CALIF., May 22, 2013 (ADOTAS) – In one [...] more »
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS – Yesterday, just prior to Microsoft’s press conference introducing [...] more »
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS — The potential of mobile advertising is huge. And [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS – Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages May 22nd 2013
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game May 22nd 2013
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Client Relationship Manager
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- JamalK: Thanks for this Richard! I think its really difficult to make a case for how
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] The live video post was the third most read article of the day, followed
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] most popular article of the day was our live #XboxReveal Twitter feed, which ran
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] live video post was the third most read article of the day, followed by