You’re In The Game: Activision, MEC and Millennial Media Partner to Launch ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops’ 2 in UK
LONDON (December 05, 2012) — Activision, MEC Global and Millennial Media (NYSE:MM), today announced a new mobile advertising campaign around the launch of “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2,” the latest installment of one of the most popular video game franchises in the world.
The campaign is the first to use Millennial Media’s new Photo Shoot rich media feature, which leverages the camera functionality of mobile devices to present an interactive, social experience not possible in any other medium.
The creative unit is running as both an expandable banner and an interstitial, and when a consumer encounters the ad, an image appears of an official “Call of Duty: Black Ops” soldier, with a custom animation in the background featuring white smoke moving across the screen. The consumer is then prompted with the ability to call up their camera, and once a picture is taken, the face of the person in the photo is inserted onto the image of the soldier, bringing out “the soldier in all of us.”
Once the custom image is created, users are given the option to download the picture or share via social media. A second ad unit in the campaign allows consumers to send a tweet from directly within the creative, giving them another opportunity to organically raise awareness around the game release and create additional earned media for the brand.
“The campaign actively encourages consumers to interact with the ad, and lends itself perfectly to social media and viral sharing,” said Alex Hicks, Account Manager, MEC Global. “Mobile presented us with a creative way to connect consumers with the Call of Duty brand, and present them with an experience unlike anything they had seen before. “
“The Photo Shoot ad unit is one of many rich media features we offer that takes advantage of the native capabilities of the mobile device,” said Gavin Stirrat, MD, EMEA, Millennial Media. “One of the inherent advantages to advertising in mobile is the ability to leverage these uniquely mobile features, and this is an example of how to do that in a way that will boost engagement.”
The campaign is targeted to gaming enthusiasts and men 18- 34, and is running on both Android and iOS devices. From within both ad units, consumers can also visit the official ”Call of Duty” mobile-optimised website, where they can view game trailers and order the game directly from their device.
Activision, MEC and Millennial Media previously teamed up to launch “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3″ in 2011. The game became the largest entertainment launch of all time and grossed over $1 Billon in 14 days. For this year’s “Call of Duty” release, Millennial Media was Activision’s exclusive UK mobile media partner.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]