Opera Pinpoints Top 10 Mobile Advertising Highlights for 2012
SAN MATEO, CALIF. and OSLO, NORWAY (December 11, 2012) — Opera Software today released its year-end special of the State of Mobile Advertising report highlighting key campaigns, brands, publishers and innovations in the mobile advertising industry for 2012.
The company pulled these insights from the 10,000+ mobile apps and sites that serve ads using the Opera mobile ad platform, which is on track to deliver more than $400 million in revenue this year to mobile publishers.
The report reveals that:
- The iPhone 5 reigned supreme.Though Samsung came out big this year with their Galaxy S III and had a significant lead on Apple’s release of the new iPhone, iPhone 5 adoption was faster and now accounts for 16.1 percent of all iPhone device traffic. Additionally, iOS impressions are in higher demand: they were 44 percent of all impressions this year, and iOS6 leapt to capture 65 percent of all ad requests from iOS-based devices.
- Pandora, IMDb, Univision and Demand Media are top mobile publishers of the year.Through widespread adoption of their mobile apps and sites and creative, engaging rich media advertising placements, these publishers showed the possibilities of mobile monetization.
- “Build a car” winsMost Innovative Ad Unit. In Q4, popular car manufacturer Kia debuted a custom car-building tool asa tap-to-expand ad unit that lets users spin the car around and choose different colorsbefore navigating to a full mobile site.
- Mobile consumers are devouring music, video and entertainment content. Nearly one in four (23.8 percent) mobile impressions in 2012 were served on a site or app in the music, video and media category. Together with Entertainment, these publishers generated 30 percent of total revenue for the year.
- New targeting capabilities enable more than 2 percent CTR.The top-performing campaign of the year from a mobile gaming app achieved a strong 2.1 percent click-through rate, and those levels of effectiveness are now becoming more common as advertisers gain access to better targeting technologies.
Leave a Comment
- Mobile Apps–The NextGen of Media Companies
- Ad Tech’s Next Steps: 7 Intriguing Predictions for 2017
- Winterberry Group: “The State of Consumer Data Onboarding: Identity Resolution in an Omnichannel Environment”
- Restoring the Balance: How Programmatic Levels the Playing Field–An Ooyala Report
- IV.AI Partners with VentureFuel to Bring AI to Brands