Holiday Shopping Trends Among Facebook Friends
‘Twas the week after Thanksgiving, and all through the land
On Facebook they chatted, and made shopping plans
Of sales at Target, Best Buy and Walmart -
Look online for deals and fill up that cart!
The gadgets they covet: iPhone, iPad, and SIII.
Get great deals today, then share on your feed!
Black Friday through Cyber Monday Facebook users chatted excitedly about holiday shopping and started crossing names off their gift lists. In fact, Facebook noted that referral traffic to retail sites on Cyber Monday increased 240 percent compared to the average for the last several Mondays.
According to ComScore, $13.7 billion has been spent online this holiday season: a 16-percent increase over corresponding 2011 dates. Black Friday (November 23) was the largest online spending day of 2012 thus far, racking in $1.042 billion in online sales for a 26-percent increase in revenue versus Black Friday 2011, making it the heaviest online spending day to date in 2012. At $1.46 billion, Cyber Monday (November 26) became the greatest online spending day on record.
As our infographic depicts, Facebook users took part in the holiday shopping frenzy, with Walmart leading the buzz report in status updates and comments across Facebook both on Black Friday and across the entire post-Thanksgiving shopping week. Target, Amazon, Best Buy, and Kohl’s rounded out the top five most popular stores for Facebook users on Black Friday, creating a list not so far off from ComScore’s list of top Black Friday online retailers, which included, in order, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target and the Apple Store, proving that Facebook can be a pretty reliable indicator of off-social behavior.
Not surprisingly, Facebook fans love their gadgets, and a lot of them chatted about their top-of-the-list tech items on Cyber Monday. The most popular devices among the social crowd? In order: the iPhone, Xbox, Wii, iPad, and Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Kindles, iPods, PlayStations and Rokus also saw some Facebook love this year, but the Microsoft Surface, Nokia Lumia, and Google Nexus 7 were among those gadgets that didn’t make the cut.
We also uncovered some intriguing insights about Facebook shoppers, including:
- The top TV show among Amazon fans: Star Trek.
- The favorite movie of Toys”R”Us fans is…The Muppets.
- Carrie Underwood is the favorite musician of Kmart fans.
Once again, our holiday shopping analysis shows that, with 1 billion users worldwide, Facebook truly represents the world’s largest free focus group – and more than a stocking full of data! With shopping insights closely mirroring those shared by ComScore, Facebook proves that social activity and chatter can be used as primary indicators of customer intent and behavior, and a reliable compass for guiding paid, owned and earned media strategies, both on and off social.
How are you monitoring status updates? Does that pertain to only those users who have their profiles set to public view?
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]