More articles by Molly Glover Gallatin
Holiday Shopping Trends Among Facebook Friends
‘Twas the week after Thanksgiving, and all through the land
On Facebook they chatted, and made shopping plans
Of sales at Target, Best Buy and Walmart -
Look online for deals and fill up that cart!
The gadgets they covet: iPhone, iPad, and SIII.
Get great deals today, then share on your feed!
Black Friday through Cyber Monday Facebook users chatted excitedly about holiday shopping and started crossing names off their gift lists. In fact, Facebook noted that referral traffic to retail sites on Cyber Monday increased 240 percent compared to the average for the last several Mondays.
According to ComScore, $13.7 billion has been spent online this holiday season: a 16-percent increase over corresponding 2011 dates. Black Friday (November 23) was the largest online spending day of 2012 thus far, racking in $1.042 billion in online sales for a 26-percent increase in revenue versus Black Friday 2011, making it the heaviest online spending day to date in 2012. At $1.46 billion, Cyber Monday (November 26) became the greatest online spending day on record.
As our infographic depicts, Facebook users took part in the holiday shopping frenzy, with Walmart leading the buzz report in status updates and comments across Facebook both on Black Friday and across the entire post-Thanksgiving shopping week. Target, Amazon, Best Buy, and Kohl’s rounded out the top five most popular stores for Facebook users on Black Friday, creating a list not so far off from ComScore’s list of top Black Friday online retailers, which included, in order, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target and the Apple Store, proving that Facebook can be a pretty reliable indicator of off-social behavior.
Not surprisingly, Facebook fans love their gadgets, and a lot of them chatted about their top-of-the-list tech items on Cyber Monday. The most popular devices among the social crowd? In order: the iPhone, Xbox, Wii, iPad, and Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Kindles, iPods, PlayStations and Rokus also saw some Facebook love this year, but the Microsoft Surface, Nokia Lumia, and Google Nexus 7 were among those gadgets that didn’t make the cut.
We also uncovered some intriguing insights about Facebook shoppers, including:
- The top TV show among Amazon fans: Star Trek.
- The favorite movie of Toys”R”Us fans is…The Muppets.
- Carrie Underwood is the favorite musician of Kmart fans.
Once again, our holiday shopping analysis shows that, with 1 billion users worldwide, Facebook truly represents the world’s largest free focus group – and more than a stocking full of data! With shopping insights closely mirroring those shared by ComScore, Facebook proves that social activity and chatter can be used as primary indicators of customer intent and behavior, and a reliable compass for guiding paid, owned and earned media strategies, both on and off social.
How are you monitoring status updates? Does that pertain to only those users who have their profiles set to public view?
Leave a Comment
- Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR Codes
- Facebook Unveils #Hashtag Strategies for Advertisers
- Can Programmatic Buying Save Traditional Media?
- WATCH: 7 Days of Creative Inspiration from Cannes Lion
- Lost in Translation: Bridging the Chasm Between ‘Search Engine’ and ‘Marketing’ Through Entity Ads
- Breaking: VivaKi and Mass Relevance Announce Partnership June 17th 2013 AUSTIN, TX, June 17, 2013 (ADOTAS) – VivaKi, a global [...] more »
- Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR Codes June 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Once upon a time, and not so long [...] more »
- Adotas Poll: Cookies Dominate on Desktop June 17th 2013 ADOTAS — In last week’s Voter Booth, we asked our [...] more »
- Facebook Unveils #Hashtag Strategies for Advertisers June 17th 2013 ADOTAS — After months of speculation, Facebook has finally announced [...] more »
- Can Programmatic Buying Save Traditional Media? June 14th 2013 ADOTAS — Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, Spotify … these services [...] more »
- WATCH: 7 Days of Creative Inspiration from Cannes Lion June 14th 2013 ADOTAS — Cannes Lions is underway. The International Festival of [...] more »
- VIDEO: Be On Integrates Emotion Measurement Platform Into Branded Video Campaigns June 14th 2013 LONDON, June 14, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Be On, AOL’s global [...] more »
- Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR Codes June 17th 2013
- Facebook Unveils #Hashtag Strategies for Advertisers June 17th 2013
- Can Programmatic Buying Save Traditional Media? June 14th 2013
- WATCH: 7 Days of Creative Inspiration from Cannes Lion June 14th 2013
- Lost in Translation: Bridging the Chasm Between ‘Search Engine’ and ‘Marketing’ Through Entity Ads June 13th 2013
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- Digital Project Manager
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Adviso
- Business Solutions - CRM Pre-Sales Architect - Tec
- Amit Goswami: Success of display programmatic IO is built on matured interoperable audience targeting standard. It wont
- Tom: Great infographic! Informative and fun.
- The Pageview Industrial Complex - Marketing Talent Inc - Marketing Talent Inc: [...] eye-tracking advertising test to date has demonstrated that consumers have developed a keen “banner
- clypd discusses challenges with cross-channel attribution | clypd: [...] Conversion Attribution In Cross-Channel Marketing: Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due [...]