Holiday Shopping Trends Among Facebook Friends
‘Twas the week after Thanksgiving, and all through the land
On Facebook they chatted, and made shopping plans
Of sales at Target, Best Buy and Walmart -
Look online for deals and fill up that cart!
The gadgets they covet: iPhone, iPad, and SIII.
Get great deals today, then share on your feed!
Black Friday through Cyber Monday Facebook users chatted excitedly about holiday shopping and started crossing names off their gift lists. In fact, Facebook noted that referral traffic to retail sites on Cyber Monday increased 240 percent compared to the average for the last several Mondays.
According to ComScore, $13.7 billion has been spent online this holiday season: a 16-percent increase over corresponding 2011 dates. Black Friday (November 23) was the largest online spending day of 2012 thus far, racking in $1.042 billion in online sales for a 26-percent increase in revenue versus Black Friday 2011, making it the heaviest online spending day to date in 2012. At $1.46 billion, Cyber Monday (November 26) became the greatest online spending day on record.
As our infographic depicts, Facebook users took part in the holiday shopping frenzy, with Walmart leading the buzz report in status updates and comments across Facebook both on Black Friday and across the entire post-Thanksgiving shopping week. Target, Amazon, Best Buy, and Kohl’s rounded out the top five most popular stores for Facebook users on Black Friday, creating a list not so far off from ComScore’s list of top Black Friday online retailers, which included, in order, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target and the Apple Store, proving that Facebook can be a pretty reliable indicator of off-social behavior.
Not surprisingly, Facebook fans love their gadgets, and a lot of them chatted about their top-of-the-list tech items on Cyber Monday. The most popular devices among the social crowd? In order: the iPhone, Xbox, Wii, iPad, and Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Kindles, iPods, PlayStations and Rokus also saw some Facebook love this year, but the Microsoft Surface, Nokia Lumia, and Google Nexus 7 were among those gadgets that didn’t make the cut.
We also uncovered some intriguing insights about Facebook shoppers, including:
- The top TV show among Amazon fans: Star Trek.
- The favorite movie of Toys”R”Us fans is…The Muppets.
- Carrie Underwood is the favorite musician of Kmart fans.
Once again, our holiday shopping analysis shows that, with 1 billion users worldwide, Facebook truly represents the world’s largest free focus group – and more than a stocking full of data! With shopping insights closely mirroring those shared by ComScore, Facebook proves that social activity and chatter can be used as primary indicators of customer intent and behavior, and a reliable compass for guiding paid, owned and earned media strategies, both on and off social.
How are you monitoring status updates? Does that pertain to only those users who have their profiles set to public view?
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Scripps Acquires Newsy for $35 Million December 9th 2013 CINCINNATI, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – The E.W. Scripps Company [...] more »
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development December 9th 2013 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Rocket Fuel Inc., [...] more »
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Searchmetrics has [...] more »
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new [...] more »
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews December 9th 2013 AUSTIN, Texas, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Bazaarvoice, Inc. (NASDAQ:BV), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Google’s Disavow Tool: The What, Why and How December 9th 2013
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than