Top U.S. Retail Search Marketers Increase Thanksgiving Day Sales 65% Year-Over-Year, Spend 51% More on Cyber Monday
SAN FRANCISCO (November 28, 2012) – Kenshoo (www.Kenshoo.com), the global leader in premium digital marketing technology, today unveiled performance data for U.S. retail search engine marketing programs during the holiday season to date. Online sales revenue driven by search marketing for the period beginning November 1 and ending November 26 increased 42 percent year-over-year (YoY) while these retailers spent 28 percent more YoY.
Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday stood out as particularly noteworthy days. On Thanksgiving Day, online sales revenue from search marketing soared 65 percent YoY driven by just a 10 percent increase in search ad spend. Conversely, these retailers drove a 44 percent YoY increase in online sales revenue from search marketing on Cyber Monday, but they increased their search ad spend 51 percent YoY to do so.
“Shopping continues to migrate online, and U.S retailers saw their biggest fluctuations of the season to date on what most now consider to be the biggest days for online shopping: Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday,” said Aaron Goldman, Kenshoo CMO. “Retailers capitalized on increased demand during these key dates by leveraging Kenshoo’s advanced automation tools and flexible bid management policies to keep promotions in sync with inventory and control cost-per-click rates.”
Other key insights of the analysis include:
- Thanksgiving Day saw the highest YoY increase in average order value, up 19 percent, as consumers loaded up their shopping carts.
- Black Friday showed lower YoY revenue growth compared to other key days but still delivered a healthy increase of 24 percent.
- Cyber Monday saw the biggest increase in YoY impressions and clicks, reflecting heightened consumer interest and search activity, as well as aggressive budgeting and bidding strategies of retailers aiming to capitalize on this new online shopping holiday.
- Overall, for the November holiday season period to date, conversion rates and return on as spend showed double-digit growth YoY as major retailers have become more sophisticated with their search marketing programs and deployment of technology solutions, including holistic management of Google Product Listing Ads.
The data analyzed by Kenshoo reflects a representative cross-section of Kenshoo clients (advertisers and agencies) managing paid search programs for the retail vertical in the United States with active campaigns tracking impressions, clicks, conversions and revenue over the 12+ month period from November 1, 2011 through November 26, 2012. This index includes all major retail categories such as, but not limited to, electronics, books, apparel, appliances, shoes, sporting goods and more. The data set covers 10+ billion paid impressions and clicks on search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and Bing that delivered more than $500 million dollars in online sales revenues during the November 2012 period. All data is accurate as of November 27, 2012 but subject to change as delayed conversions are added in subsequent days. Final figures will be released in the full Kenshoo 2012 U.S. Retail Holiday Shopping Report, available in early January.
Kenshoo is a digital marketing technology company that engineers premium solutions for search marketing, social media and online advertising. Brands, agencies and developers use Kenshoo Enterprise, Kenshoo Local and Kenshoo Social to direct more than $25 billion in annual client sales revenue. The Kenshoo Universal Platform delivers automation, intelligence, integration and scale to make better marketing investments. With campaigns running in more than 190 countries for nearly half of the Fortune 50 and all 10 top global ad agency networks, Kenshoo clients include CareerBuilder, Expedia, Facebook, KAYAK, Havas Digital, Hitwise, iREP, John Lewis, LendingTree, Resolution Media, Sears, Starcom MediaVest Group, Tesco, Travelocity, Walgreens, and Zappos. Kenshoo has 16 international locations and is backed by Sequoia Capital, Arts Alliance and Tenaya Capital. Please visit www.Kenshoo.com for more information.
Kenshoo is a trademark of Kenshoo Ltd. Other company and brand names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers December 12th 2013 ADOTAS – Adobe just announced results for its fiscal year that [...] more »
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing December 12th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Marketo , provider [...] more »
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands December 12th 2013 SALT LAKE CITY, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Online marketers [...] more »
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel December 12th 2013 LONDON, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Audience insights company VisualDNA [...] more »
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding December 12th 2013 FORT WORTH, TX., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Simpli.fi, an [...] more »
- MyCityWay Partners with USA TODAY to Launch Vegas-Themed App December 12th 2013 NEW YORK and MCLEAN, VA., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – [...] more »
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War December 12th 2013
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond December 12th 2013
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand December 12th 2013
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Stephen: Your new autoplay video commercials are REALLY annoying. It means I cannot leave your story
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial