Top U.S. Retail Search Marketers Increase Thanksgiving Day Sales 65% Year-Over-Year, Spend 51% More on Cyber Monday
SAN FRANCISCO (November 28, 2012) – Kenshoo (www.Kenshoo.com), the global leader in premium digital marketing technology, today unveiled performance data for U.S. retail search engine marketing programs during the holiday season to date. Online sales revenue driven by search marketing for the period beginning November 1 and ending November 26 increased 42 percent year-over-year (YoY) while these retailers spent 28 percent more YoY.
Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday stood out as particularly noteworthy days. On Thanksgiving Day, online sales revenue from search marketing soared 65 percent YoY driven by just a 10 percent increase in search ad spend. Conversely, these retailers drove a 44 percent YoY increase in online sales revenue from search marketing on Cyber Monday, but they increased their search ad spend 51 percent YoY to do so.
“Shopping continues to migrate online, and U.S retailers saw their biggest fluctuations of the season to date on what most now consider to be the biggest days for online shopping: Thanksgiving Day and Cyber Monday,” said Aaron Goldman, Kenshoo CMO. “Retailers capitalized on increased demand during these key dates by leveraging Kenshoo’s advanced automation tools and flexible bid management policies to keep promotions in sync with inventory and control cost-per-click rates.”
Other key insights of the analysis include:
- Thanksgiving Day saw the highest YoY increase in average order value, up 19 percent, as consumers loaded up their shopping carts.
- Black Friday showed lower YoY revenue growth compared to other key days but still delivered a healthy increase of 24 percent.
- Cyber Monday saw the biggest increase in YoY impressions and clicks, reflecting heightened consumer interest and search activity, as well as aggressive budgeting and bidding strategies of retailers aiming to capitalize on this new online shopping holiday.
- Overall, for the November holiday season period to date, conversion rates and return on as spend showed double-digit growth YoY as major retailers have become more sophisticated with their search marketing programs and deployment of technology solutions, including holistic management of Google Product Listing Ads.
The data analyzed by Kenshoo reflects a representative cross-section of Kenshoo clients (advertisers and agencies) managing paid search programs for the retail vertical in the United States with active campaigns tracking impressions, clicks, conversions and revenue over the 12+ month period from November 1, 2011 through November 26, 2012. This index includes all major retail categories such as, but not limited to, electronics, books, apparel, appliances, shoes, sporting goods and more. The data set covers 10+ billion paid impressions and clicks on search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and Bing that delivered more than $500 million dollars in online sales revenues during the November 2012 period. All data is accurate as of November 27, 2012 but subject to change as delayed conversions are added in subsequent days. Final figures will be released in the full Kenshoo 2012 U.S. Retail Holiday Shopping Report, available in early January.
Kenshoo is a digital marketing technology company that engineers premium solutions for search marketing, social media and online advertising. Brands, agencies and developers use Kenshoo Enterprise, Kenshoo Local and Kenshoo Social to direct more than $25 billion in annual client sales revenue. The Kenshoo Universal Platform delivers automation, intelligence, integration and scale to make better marketing investments. With campaigns running in more than 190 countries for nearly half of the Fortune 50 and all 10 top global ad agency networks, Kenshoo clients include CareerBuilder, Expedia, Facebook, KAYAK, Havas Digital, Hitwise, iREP, John Lewis, LendingTree, Resolution Media, Sears, Starcom MediaVest Group, Tesco, Travelocity, Walgreens, and Zappos. Kenshoo has 16 international locations and is backed by Sequoia Capital, Arts Alliance and Tenaya Capital. Please visit www.Kenshoo.com for more information.
Kenshoo is a trademark of Kenshoo Ltd. Other company and brand names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]