Survey: Digital, Social and Mobile Advertising Appearing as Content Can Be Damaging to Brand Trust
- 62 percent of those who had seen them in the past 12 months said Twitter promoted tweets negatively impacted or had no impact on their perception of the brand being advertised.
- 72 percent of those who had seen them in the past 12 months said Facebook sponsored stories negatively impacted or had no impact on their perception of the brand being advertised.
- 85 percent of those who had seen them in the past 12 months said sponsored video ads that appear to be content negatively impacted or had no impact on their perception of the brand being advertised.
“This study validates that people respond best to authenticity in advertising no matter the format. With the recent buzz around ‘native’ ad formats, I think we need to carefully consider best practices,” said Ari Brandt, CEO for MediaBrix. “While anyone pushing the native ad agenda or otherwise would agree that we need to provide user experiences that are not jarring or disruptive, we also need to ensure that we are direct and honest with consumers about when they are being marketed to. Some formats achieve this better than others.”
According to this survey, the majority of online adults who have seen advertising that appears as content in the past 12 months find the ads misleading. When asked about and shown specific ad types on digital platforms, 45 percent of those who had seen them in the past 12 months found Twitter promoted tweets misleading, 57 percent of those who had seen them in the past 12 months found Facebook sponsored stories misleading and 86 percent of those who had seen them in the past 12 months found sponsored video ads that appear to be content misleading. Those who had seen them in the past 12 months also found traditional ad types such as advertorials in magazines as misleading.
Another recent MediaBrix survey revealed that consumers prefer relevant, interactive in-app social and mobile advertising that appears during natural breaks in app/game usage, or those that add value through a value exchange such as a virtual good or currency in the app/game. Publishers anddevelopers must incorporate such units to better monetize and also to engage consumers in a way that offers them the most optimal user experience.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Mediabrix from October 2-4, 2012 among 2,516 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Tiffany Sumner, Director of Marketing Communications, at email@example.com.
MediaBrix (www.mediabrix.com) is the only end-to-end, in-app social and mobile advertising solution for Fortune 500 marketers with proprietary analytics measuring over 30 points of brand-focused metrics, including viewability, time spent, video completes, interactions and social sharing. The company offers Fortune 500 marketers a suite of immersive and interactive advertising products, allowing them to reach a highly engaged audience where they are most receptive to a brand’s message – in social and mobile apps and games. Hundreds of top brands such as Procter & Gamble, Samsung and Coca-Cola and the world’s largest app developers such as King.com and Zyngaleverage the MediaBrix platform to provide user-friendly brand advertising experiences to more than 200 million people. MediaBrix is based in New York, with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago.
- Pingback from Survey: Digital, Social and Mobile Advertising Appearing as Content Can Be Damaging to Brand Trust | SOLOMO | Scoop.it
- Pingback from Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - CommPRO.biz
- Pingback from Survey: Digital, Social and Mobile Advertising Appearing as Content Can Be … | Make Money With Mobile Marketing
- Pingback from Survey: Digital, Social and Mobile Advertising Appearing as Content Can Be ... - ADOTAS | Home Business and Passive Income | Scoop.it
- Pingback from 3 Ways Entrepreneurs Can Leverage <b>Social</b> Media to <b>Market</b> New Products and <b>…</b>
Leave a Comment
- Meredith Xcelerated Marketing Recognized with Top Honors at 2014 Content Marketing Awards
- InMobi inks global partnership with Factual to increase Mobile Ad Efficacy for Brands
- Eyeview and LiveRamp Partnership Delivers Powerful Data Solutions to Brands
- Rubicon Project Selected to Power Global Exchange for International Media Group, Future plc
- Evolve Media Further Strengthens Viewability Through Partnership with Moat