Report: Retailers Spent Dramatically More on Paid Search In Advance of Black Friday & Cyber Monday
Across the five popular shopping days from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, cost-per-click (CPC) also skyrocketed 20 percent higher than 2011, as competition for search terms among retailers increased. According to data released today by Marin Software, provider of the leading digital ad management platform for advertisers and agencies, U.S. retailers saw across the board increases in paid search ad spend, impressions, clicks, and cost-per-click.
Among the study’s findings:
- Marketers are increasing investments in online advertising during the 2012 holiday season in an effort to drive more revenue from increased awareness, brick and mortar store traffic, and online sales. A large increase in paid search spend and clicks occurred each day across the five popular shopping days from Thanksgiving Day through Cyber Monday, compared to 2011.
- Retailers increased search advertising spend 59 percent on Thanksgiving Day 2012, compared to 2011, indicating an earlier start to this year’s holiday season. Due to more investment on Thanksgiving, average cost-per-click for paid search ads also increased on Thanksgiving to 22 percdent more than 2011.
- In aggregate over the five days, paid search spend by retailers increased 43 percent and cost-per-click increased 20% over 2011, as competition among retailers for search terms grew, signaling the heightened importance online advertising plays in driving bottom line growth for retailers.
- Cyber Monday continues to be the blockbuster day for retailers online, garnering more clicks than any other day, but the five day period between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday is growing in importance as shoppers look for deals throughout the week.
“Retailers are not only investing more dollars online, but they are doing it earlier in the consumer buying cycle,” said Matt Lawson (pictured), Vice President of Marketing at Marin Software. “Consumers increasingly rely on online alerts, ads and reviews to inform their buying decisions and advertisers are looking to keep ahead, especially during the critical holiday season.”
About Marin Software
Marin Software provides the leading digital ad management platform, with global brands and advertising agencies managing more than $4 billion in annualized ad investments on Marin. Offering an integrated platform for search, social, display, and mobile marketing, Marin helps marketers improve financial performance, save time, and make better decisions. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices worldwide, Marin’s technology powers marketing campaigns in more than 160 countries. For more information, please visit: http://www.marinsoftware.com.
- Pingback from Email, Search Help Drive Black Friday, Cyber Monday Spending – Chief Marketer (blog) | 2012 Blackfriday Deals!
Leave a Comment
- Adjust Says: Click Injection Fraud To Become Dominant Woe for Mobile Marketers
- The Consumers Have Spoken: How Brands Can Survive Crises
- Acquisition by Innotech Capitals Opens Global Markets for Ad-Juster
- The Right to Digital Sovereignty
- Tipalti Integrates With LinkTrust; FollowAnalytics Leverages Machine Learning & Predictive Intelligence; ironSource’s Fastest Growing Apps Report