Musical Ads With A New Spin
With the growth of online music streaming services like Spotify and Pandora, there’s a huge advertising opportunity for brands to get in front of a captivated audience with a targeted approach, as well as using these services inside other platforms where people are spending a majority of their time.
The inclusion of music in ads is nothing new, but the integration of musical experiences into ads is something that hasn’t quite been done before. New York-based startup F# is working with music streaming services to create cool new ads for leading brands on social-centric platforms like Spotify and Facebook. F# has designed creative, unique ads for companies like Frito-Lay, Microsoft, MillerCoors, Unilever, Universal Pictures and countless more.
Here’s the twist: According to the company, banner ads aren’t the way to go these days. Instead, they design purposeful ads that reward the consumer with playlists, analysis of his favorite songs and what a playlist reveals about him. So if I am a user who encounters one of these music ads as a Facebook app, once I drag my Spotify playlist onto the ad, it creates a more interactive ad experience just for me.
According to Dan Merritts, CEO of “We’ve been working with Spotify, so we leverage their impressive music library into our ads. Whether it is an ad that lives inside Spotify, where you can drag and drop a playlist to be analyzed to see which movie character you would be, or outside Spotify where you can add a song on a particular theme – such as Guilty Pleasures.”
The company recently worked with UFC, the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Prior to the season finale of the mixed martial arts competition The Ultimate Fighter, each contestant chose two potential “walkout” songs. In the UFC Facebook app, Spotify listeners and visitors to the UFC Facebook page were asked to vote on which of the two songs the wrestler should come out to. According to F#, at the time, it was the most successful branded Spotify campaign to date having four times as many votes as any previous Spotify campaign.
By integrating music into ad experiences it creates a deeper connection – whether it’s listening to an actual song or leveraging music in the experience, by giving playlists to the consumer or allowing them to vote on their favorite holiday song. Merritts added, “People are already passionate about music, so it’s about incorporating that into their ad experiences to form a deeper connection with the brand. This ultimately creates a lasting association that often improves awareness and drives purchase intent.”
Brands have a lot of ground to make up from the old days of radio. Streaming music requires a connection on a device that is capable of other action. Ads must be interactive, and very importantly, must not interrupt the experience too much, for fear of a backlash. It’s a delicate line to tread, but one with great rewards for those who walk it correctly. Good post.
- Pingback from 音楽ストリーミングSpotifyと連動したウェブ広告の事例 | Shift the Media
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]