Mobile Gaming: App Traffic and Trends
Last month, I had the opportunity to attend the Mobile Gaming Summit conference along with my colleague Mark DeBenedetto. At the conference, we were able to gain significant insight into what makes a mobile game successful and the current and future states of the mobile gaming world. Below are some key takeaways from the sessions that I attended:
1. Mobile advertisers should segment users by their activity and advertise accordingly.
- May want to show banner/interstitial ads to users with little purchasing activity .
- May want to cross promote other games with similar content to users with some purchasing activity.
- May want to provide the game ad free to users with most purchasing activity.
2. Paid mobile traffic should be measured using the same analytics as unpaid traffic.
3: Volume vs. Value:
- Significant app downloads are good to focus on but you should think about repeat users that will monetize.
- You should figure out at what points your users are monetizing/disengaging the most.
4. iOS vs. Android and beyond:
- iOS has about double CPM’s compared to Android.
- Although cost to advertise on Android is lower than iOS, Android app stores are more fragmented (Google Play, Amazon Mobile, Opera etc.).
- HTML5 can be an effective platform if the game is more pedestrian.
5. Social Gaming:
- Facebook now allows users to browse apps on their desktop and send push notifications with a link to download the app on their phones.
- Asynchronous gaming, where users can play a game together but at different times, is getting more popular.
6. Future Trends:
- Games utilizing the location services on mobile phones will probably be the next big type of mobile game.
- New app store with launch of Windows 8 will lead to influx of apps.
- Facebook is putting more emphasis on mobile ads and will play a large role in how mobile games are advertised in the future.
Overall, the conference was a great chance to learn more about the mobile gaming world, especially from the perspective of a developer working on a game from the ground up. In addition to creating great content and compelling stories that drive users to continue playing, paid advertising plays a large part in a gaming app’s success. Given the numerous gaming apps out there, it is necessary to take into account various promotional channels in order for your game to stand out.
At Direct Agents we work with leading gaming developers to promote installations of their social gaming apps. By utilizing an ROI driven approach including optimizing past the install with In App event level tracking and tracking in-app activity such as subscriptions and purchases, we have seen social gaming companies have great success expanding their app audiences.
- Pingback from Five Disappearing Jobs | Maximum Digital Marketing, LP
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]