Marketing for a Better World: How Entertainment is the Critical Link between Brand and Cause
Everyone can make a difference by supporting the causes they care about. Getting involved gives people a sense of purpose and meaning in life, and makes them feel good about themselves. While the economic downturn has resulted in reduced public funding and private philanthropy, consumers are increasingly demonstrating their support for social issues by purchasing cause-branded products.
There has never been a better time for marketers to raise brand awareness by linking products with causes, a celebrity endorsement and stylish entertainment component.
We can learn some valuable lessons about how to successfully blend entertainment into cause-driven campaigns from one of the most successful mission-driven ventures, (RED) which was co-founded by the famous U2 singer, Bono, to help eradicate AIDS.
This week, Tiesto, one of the world’s most famous DJs, is mobilizing a huge community of dance music fans, with the goal of achieving an AIDS free generation by 2015. Tiesto is tapping into their youthful passion and energy by delivering a unique music experience on December 1st, World AIDS Day, which will be viewable via YouTube live stream. Fans can also get an exclusive compilation album, DANCE (RED), SAVE LIVES -featuring Bono.
This is a cause I care deeply about. Every minute, a young woman is infected by HIV, and 900 babies are born daily with the virus. My company has a corporate responsibility program that provided a StarStar code, which people can use to support the campaign, by simply calling **RED.
What is the best way to maximize the positive impact for both the brand and the societal issue?
Find quality partners: Marketers must carefully select the best mission-driven organizations to partner with, and produce high quality entertainment experiences, that are delivered via premium media vehicles, technologies and venues. (RED) has generated $200 million in funds by partnering with Apple, Starbucks, Coca-Cola, Belvedere, Gap, Bugaboo, Nike and many other companies, who contribute proceeds from the sale of (RED)-branded products and services. The brands and (RED) cross-benefit from the partnership.
Be strategic: Once you add cause-related marketing to the mix, it is critical the efforts have a direct transparent link to businesses goals. This actually improves a programs success because it is likely to deepen the long-term commitment required from corporate executives, and increase the likelihood that consumers associate a brand with a particular cause.
Identify a niche: The most successful efforts narrowly define and target a specific market and customer. Then, you can engage a celebrity or brand ambassador that exemplifies the values, lifestyle and character of the intended audience. The spokesperson must be able to articulate their concern about the given issue with authenticity.
Go digital: Leverage the power of digital entertainment experiences in campaigns. Mobile and social media are now prevalent in every category of age, geography, income, education and lifestyle.
The current TAG Heuer campaign is another excellent example of a well-designed charitable initiative that uses all of these best practices. Last week, the luxury smartphone and watchmaker hosted a charity event to raise funds and awareness for NY Cares and UN Women (focused on the empowerment of women). The soiree was held below the dramatic glass-cubed planetarium sphere at the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Guests were entertained by a special performance of the New York City Ballet, and then danced the night away to the music of red-hot DJ Evalicious. Hollywood brand ambassador, Cameron Diaz, who symbolizes contemporary glamour, wore a limited-edition watch, which benefits UN Women. She tied the brand to the cause: Time is the most precious thing that we have and to be able to do something productive and useful with our time is the most important thing.
- Pingback from Marketing for a Better World: How Entertainment is the Critical Link between … | Banner Stands | Exhibition banner stands | Pop up Banners
- Pingback from Marketing for a Better World: How Entertainment is the Critical Link between ... - ADOTAS | Sustainable marketing | Scoop.it
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]