More articles by Dev Crews
Marketing for a Better World: How Entertainment is the Critical Link between Brand and Cause
Everyone can make a difference by supporting the causes they care about. Getting involved gives people a sense of purpose and meaning in life, and makes them feel good about themselves. While the economic downturn has resulted in reduced public funding and private philanthropy, consumers are increasingly demonstrating their support for social issues by purchasing cause-branded products.
There has never been a better time for marketers to raise brand awareness by linking products with causes, a celebrity endorsement and stylish entertainment component.
We can learn some valuable lessons about how to successfully blend entertainment into cause-driven campaigns from one of the most successful mission-driven ventures, (RED) which was co-founded by the famous U2 singer, Bono, to help eradicate AIDS.
This week, Tiesto, one of the world’s most famous DJs, is mobilizing a huge community of dance music fans, with the goal of achieving an AIDS free generation by 2015. Tiesto is tapping into their youthful passion and energy by delivering a unique music experience on December 1st, World AIDS Day, which will be viewable via YouTube live stream. Fans can also get an exclusive compilation album, DANCE (RED), SAVE LIVES -featuring Bono.
This is a cause I care deeply about. Every minute, a young woman is infected by HIV, and 900 babies are born daily with the virus. My company has a corporate responsibility program that provided a StarStar code, which people can use to support the campaign, by simply calling **RED.
What is the best way to maximize the positive impact for both the brand and the societal issue?
Find quality partners: Marketers must carefully select the best mission-driven organizations to partner with, and produce high quality entertainment experiences, that are delivered via premium media vehicles, technologies and venues. (RED) has generated $200 million in funds by partnering with Apple, Starbucks, Coca-Cola, Belvedere, Gap, Bugaboo, Nike and many other companies, who contribute proceeds from the sale of (RED)-branded products and services. The brands and (RED) cross-benefit from the partnership.
Be strategic: Once you add cause-related marketing to the mix, it is critical the efforts have a direct transparent link to businesses goals. This actually improves a programs success because it is likely to deepen the long-term commitment required from corporate executives, and increase the likelihood that consumers associate a brand with a particular cause.
Identify a niche: The most successful efforts narrowly define and target a specific market and customer. Then, you can engage a celebrity or brand ambassador that exemplifies the values, lifestyle and character of the intended audience. The spokesperson must be able to articulate their concern about the given issue with authenticity.
Go digital: Leverage the power of digital entertainment experiences in campaigns. Mobile and social media are now prevalent in every category of age, geography, income, education and lifestyle.
The current TAG Heuer campaign is another excellent example of a well-designed charitable initiative that uses all of these best practices. Last week, the luxury smartphone and watchmaker hosted a charity event to raise funds and awareness for NY Cares and UN Women (focused on the empowerment of women). The soiree was held below the dramatic glass-cubed planetarium sphere at the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Guests were entertained by a special performance of the New York City Ballet, and then danced the night away to the music of red-hot DJ Evalicious. Hollywood brand ambassador, Cameron Diaz, who symbolizes contemporary glamour, wore a limited-edition watch, which benefits UN Women. She tied the brand to the cause: Time is the most precious thing that we have and to be able to do something productive and useful with our time is the most important thing.
- Pingback from Marketing for a Better World: How Entertainment is the Critical Link between … | Banner Stands | Exhibition banner stands | Pop up Banners
- Pingback from Marketing for a Better World: How Entertainment is the Critical Link between ... - ADOTAS | Sustainable marketing | Scoop.it
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- From the Twitterverse: Xbox One Reaction May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Here’s how the world is reacting to Microsoft’s [...] more »
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined May 21st 2013 ADOTAS — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be [...] more »
- Watch it Live: Xbox Reveal, 5/21 at 1 p.m. EDT/10 a.m. PDT May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft will unveil its next generation Xbox today [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013 ADOTAS (via WordStream) — Here’s why I think Yahoo is [...] more »
- Live Twitter Feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined: [...] — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be unveiled today, has produced 66,000
- Ben Straley responds to Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? - Rio SEO Blog: [...] Original article posted here [...]
- New Solution to OpenX OnRamp Shutdown | Adcolt: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2013/02/update-malware-attack-permanently-shuts-down-openx-onramp/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading... This entry was posted in Uncategorized
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]