Digitas: ‘Mobile Thursday’ Shopping Will Nearly Double from Last Year
NEW YORK — Mobile devices will play a pivotal role this Thanksgiving as the holiday transforms into “Mobile Thursday,” the day before Black Friday. 28 percent of smartphone- or tablet-owning adult holiday shoppers plan to shop on Thanksgiving Day with their mobile devices. This will nearly double the percentage from 2011, when only 16% said they would use a mobile device to shop on Mobile Thursday.
In addition to shopping for the holidays, 29 percent of smartphone or tablet owners say that they have used or plan to use their mobile devices to assist with upcoming Thanksgiving holiday preparations. That number rises to 40 percent when focused on adults aged 18–34.
These are the key findings of a new online survey by Harris Interactive, conducted on behalf of Digitas, a top, digitally led, global integrated brand agency, from November 5 to 7, 2012, among 2,059 adults ages 18 and older.
“Our findings reinforce that mobile is not just another channel. It’s a technology-driven cultural phenomenon that is changing how people are connecting to brands and commerce. With more consumers shopping on their devices, brands are being provided with more mobile moments to address and create impact — even during a time of turkey, football, and family,” says Chia Chen, SVP, Mobile Practice Lead, Digitas.
The study suggest that parents should be prepared to allow mobile devices at the Thanksgiving dinner table or risk not seeing their college kids on the holiday.
Students Are a Mobile Thursday Force; Will Choose Mobile Devices Over Turkey
- Two in five students (38 percent) say they’ll do holiday shopping on their mobile devices on Thanksgiving.
- 22 percent of students are likely to decline a Thanksgiving meal invitation if they know they would not be able to use their mobile devices while there.
Even though consumers experience mobile-user frustrations, the survey finds that they still have strong intent to purchase via mobile.
Consumers Want to Shop via Mobile, But Brands Still Have Need to Catch Up
- The study revealed that three-quarters (76 percent) of those who shop by mobile device and computer say that it is easier to shop via computer.
- Only 8 percent say their shopping experience is easier via mobile and one in six (16 percent) say there is no difference between the two.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Digitas from November 5 to 7, 2012, among 2,059 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For the complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pingback from 5 Cyber Monday Tips from Chartbeat | Chartbeat
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]