Sharethrough Announces New Funding Round to Further Scale Native Video Ads
SAN FRANCISCO (October 11, 2012) –Sharethrough, the native video advertising company, today announced that it has raised $5 million in a Series B round from existing investors North Bridge Venture Partners and Floodgate. The new funding will be used to expand the adoption of the Sharethrough Sponsored Video platform by premium publisher sites and to accelerate development of its technology platform. Sharethrough currently distributes native video ads for 50 percent of the top 100 brands and over 85 percent of the top U.S. media agencies, and is quickly becoming the go-to source of native video monetization products and technology for publishers. The company is reporting 87 percent revenue growth over the past year.
In September 2012, the company released Sharethrough Sponsored Videos following a closed beta that included editorial publishers such as Forbes, millions of vertical independent media sites on the WordPress platform, and original social content publishers such as The Awl and Thought Catalog, among others. Sharethrough Sponsored Videos is a technology platform that enables web and mobile publishers to integrate premium native video ad placements into their existing content experience. The Sharethrough Sponsored Video platform reaches over 105 million people within the United States, as measured by comScore.
“Pre-roll, video ads, banners, buttons, boxes, pop-ups and other types of interruptive advertising are on the way out. Native advertising, which lets a site owner place branded content into the flow of a great user experience, is the emerging model. Facebook Sponsored Stories and Twitter Promoted Tweets have pioneered this for their own platforms, and Sharethrough is the first pure-play company to enable it for all properties in the online and post-PC worlds,” said Mike Maples, Managing Partner at FLOODGATE, whose other investments include Twitter, Bazaarvoice, and ngmoco.
The Sharethrough Sponsored Video platform is designed to solve the problem of delivering native advertising at scale. Marketers have rapidly turned to native ad solutions on premier social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and a select group of editorial publishers, but the customization required for each individual native ad prohibits advertisers from being able to efficiently run these campaigns at large scale. Sharethrough Sponsored Videos platform allows advertisers to deliver their video content across the web in native ad placements, providing the benefits of both reach and scale as well as the customization of ad units to make them native to the aesthetic and user experience of a publisher’s site.
“Beginning with major social platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, publishers across the industry now are increasingly looking to native monetization models to provide future revenue growth and to improve their user experience across all properties, mobile or otherwise. Sharethrough’s platform will accelerate the process for publishers across the open web to create and monetize native advertising experiences. Sharethrough is positioned for significant growth in the years to come,” said Cali Tran, Principal, North Bridge Venture Partners.
“We’ve been fortunate at Sharethrough to be at the nexus of the most exciting parts of online advertising, social media and online video. Brands and their creative agencies have produced a creative renaissance through video and show no signs of stopping – we’ve seen a 55 percent increase in native video campaign size over the past year,” said Dan Greenberg, co-founder and CEO of Sharethrough. “We are now at an equally innovative time in media, where the fundamental design and experience of advertising is changing from interruptive, non-integrated experiences to native, social formats. Sharethrough is squarely focused on building the world’s leading native video network and developing products that will change the game for social media and video advertising.”
Sharethrough has also recently bolstered its executive team, adding former Auditude CRO Mike Gaffney as its new Chief Revenue Officer, and James Navin, formerly SVP, Operation at Federated Media, as Vice President of Strategic Operations. Each executive will contribute to the expansion of Sharethrough’s publishing partner network, native video ad product development and operations strategy.
Mike Gaffney comes to Sharethrough with an extensive advertising and sales background from some of the industry’s top technology companies. Most recently, he served as CRO for Auditude, a video advertising platform acquired by Adobe in 2011. In his role at Auditude, Gaffney was responsible for growing the company’s customer base of publishers, content owners, distributors and their advertising partners. From 2007-2009, Gaffney served as VP of Sales at Right Media, the first digital advertising exchange that was acquired by Yahoo! for more than $800 million in 2007. His technology career began in enterprise software at Oracle and includes a seven-year tenure at Salesforce.com where he served as a VP and was their 20th employee.
James Navin joins Sharethrough from Federated Media, where he most recently served as SVP Operations until early 2012. James’ broad professional background includes time spent in the internet, telecom, software, and energy industries in corporate functions ranging from Product Management to Business and Corporate Development to Operations. He came to Federated Media following two years of leading the Product function at Yipes, an enterprise network service provider.
Sharethrough is the leading provider of native video advertising technology solutions for brands and publishers. Fortune 1000 brands and their agencies work with Sharethrough to guarantee audiences and maximize social engagement for their original video content, and social web publishers partner with Sharethrough to create native, non-interruptive brand video placements via the Sharethrough Sponsored Video platform. Founded in 2008, Sharethrough is a privately held company based in San Francisco, Calif. For more information about Sharethrough, please visit www.sharethrough.com.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use