News

Opera Report: iOS dominates Q3 mobile ads with high eCPMs

Written on
Oct 25, 2012 
Author
AdotasWire  |

SAN MATEO, CALIF. and OSLO (October 25, 2012) — Opera Software today published its third-quarter State of Mobile Advertising report, which shares key data and trends in mobile advertising worldwide. The data comes from the Opera advertising platform, which serves more than 10,000 mobile sites and apps, with 40+ billion ad impressions per month and on-track to deliver more than $400 million in revenue to mobile publishers in 2012.

Highlights from the Q3 report:

  • iOS continues to deliver the highest eCPM. (effective cost per thousand impressions) This quarter, iOS led the pack again with a $1.64 eCPM with iPad and iPhone garnering $4.42 and $1.48 eCPMs respectively. Android slipped down in the rankings with $0.88, well below RIM at $1.06.
  • Sports on the upswing. Sports became the no. 1 category for mobile ad revenue, and mobile sites and apps in the Music, Video & Media category also grew this quarter, with both capturing 30 percent of overall revenue, making them the highest earners. However, Business, Finance & Investing properties consistently generate more revenue per impression than any other category.
  • Apps vs. Web. In the category of mobile advertising revenue in Q3, this round goes to the apps. Apps took the top spot by generating 73 percent of revenue within the Opera ad platform. The remaining 27 percent comes from the mobile web. Traffic measurement showed 8 in 10 visits on the Opera ad platform came from mobile apps, compared to 2 in 10 via the mobile web.
  • U.K. users are more likely to use mobile as a culture companion and wellness tool. Compared to the rest of the world, mobile users in the United Kingdom trend towards interaction with content in Arts & Entertainment and Health, Fitness & Self Help. They are also four times more likely to use a BlackBerry.

In this report, Opera also shares best practices in mobile creative, using visual examples from two leading global automotive brands.

To read the full report, click here.

About Opera Software ASA

The worldwide World Wide Web — any device, any platform, any bandwidth, absolutely anywhere in the world. Opera Software was founded in 1994, based on the idea that access to the web should be a universal right. 270 million people (and counting) use the Opera web browsers for computers, mobile phones, TVs and other connected devices. Opera also delivers tools, distribution, engagement, monetization and market insights to developers, publishers and brands around the world. We are passionate about breaking down barriers, so everyone can share in the power of the internet. Our vision of one web for all remains at the heart of what we do, because we believe that participation changes everything. Opera Software ASA is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. ‘Opera’, ‘Opera Software’, ‘Opera Mini’ and the ‘O’ logo are trademarks of Opera Software ASA. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.





AdotasWire was established in 2012 as a vehicle for news releases from companies in the interactive advertising industry. Adotas was not involved in the creation of this content. All information featured under the AdotasWire heading is supplied by the respective companies and/or the communications professionals that represent said companies. Adotas accepts no responsibility for any false claims, statements, opnions or data included therein.

Reader Comments.

No comments yet

Leave a Comment

Add a comment

Tags: , , , , , , , and
Article Sponsor

More News