It’s (Past) Time to Solve the Mobile Dilemma
Marketers are in a race to the top – or the bottom. The choice is theirs. To make it they’re going to need to pull their heads out of the sand and wrap them around the reality of mobile marketing. They need to face the facts of what is happening and take action now to succeed. Timid measures, half steps and uncertainty have the industry at a crossroads: One path leads to a vicious cycle that will drive mobile into a wasteland of limited value, the other to a virtuous cycle that can create the potential for a multitrillion dollar global mobile marketing ecosystem.
What’s behind this decision point? It’s everything from new mobile devices to a proliferation of ad tech. As is often the case, emerging technology has offered marketers new ways to practice their craft. Unfortunately, they still lack a universal approach to one of the most fundamental requirements of marketing: ensuring that communication reaches the intended audience. This is a huge problem.
A recent poll of participants in an MMA webinar on the economics of mobile found that tracking and measurement is the biggest frustration marketers have with the mobile ecosystem. Forty eight percent of respondents cited tracking and performance as their greatest concern, far outpacing cost and complexity (21 percent), privacy (15 percent), the ability to scale (13 percent) or protecting their brand (3 percent). Addressing the tracking challenge is the first step to creating the virtuous cycle.
Beyond the poll I’ve also had the opportunity to spend time with industry executives from around the world – people from 30 companies – to hear what issues are on their minds and discuss potential solutions. These are really smart people. It’s obvious from talking to them that they need an accurate way to identify and reach their target audiences, as well as to determine how well the mobile campaigns they’ve designed are performing. Without these things, marketing is a crapshoot – and that’s not a model for success.
Reading about doubts and concerns around the potential of mobile marketing makes me crazy. This could be the biggest opportunity marketers have ever had. Think about it: We’re talking about some of the most exciting devices ever created. They’re within arms-length of hundreds of millions – if not billions – of people 24/7. They can deliver incredible content and experiences. But for some reason the industry is scratching its collective head saying, “Gee, sure wish we knew who we’re talking to on these things.”
Those who can solve that problem are going to make it possible for smart marketers to do incredible things. Marketers who fail to evolve with the times will wake up one day and wonder when the world passed them by. Hint: It’s happening to them right now, but they don’t realize it yet.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than