It’s (Past) Time to Solve the Mobile Dilemma
Marketers are in a race to the top – or the bottom. The choice is theirs. To make it they’re going to need to pull their heads out of the sand and wrap them around the reality of mobile marketing. They need to face the facts of what is happening and take action now to succeed. Timid measures, half steps and uncertainty have the industry at a crossroads: One path leads to a vicious cycle that will drive mobile into a wasteland of limited value, the other to a virtuous cycle that can create the potential for a multitrillion dollar global mobile marketing ecosystem.
What’s behind this decision point? It’s everything from new mobile devices to a proliferation of ad tech. As is often the case, emerging technology has offered marketers new ways to practice their craft. Unfortunately, they still lack a universal approach to one of the most fundamental requirements of marketing: ensuring that communication reaches the intended audience. This is a huge problem.
A recent poll of participants in an MMA webinar on the economics of mobile found that tracking and measurement is the biggest frustration marketers have with the mobile ecosystem. Forty eight percent of respondents cited tracking and performance as their greatest concern, far outpacing cost and complexity (21 percent), privacy (15 percent), the ability to scale (13 percent) or protecting their brand (3 percent). Addressing the tracking challenge is the first step to creating the virtuous cycle.
Beyond the poll I’ve also had the opportunity to spend time with industry executives from around the world – people from 30 companies – to hear what issues are on their minds and discuss potential solutions. These are really smart people. It’s obvious from talking to them that they need an accurate way to identify and reach their target audiences, as well as to determine how well the mobile campaigns they’ve designed are performing. Without these things, marketing is a crapshoot – and that’s not a model for success.
Reading about doubts and concerns around the potential of mobile marketing makes me crazy. This could be the biggest opportunity marketers have ever had. Think about it: We’re talking about some of the most exciting devices ever created. They’re within arms-length of hundreds of millions – if not billions – of people 24/7. They can deliver incredible content and experiences. But for some reason the industry is scratching its collective head saying, “Gee, sure wish we knew who we’re talking to on these things.”
Those who can solve that problem are going to make it possible for smart marketers to do incredible things. Marketers who fail to evolve with the times will wake up one day and wonder when the world passed them by. Hint: It’s happening to them right now, but they don’t realize it yet.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]