Increase Clicks With These 5 Text Ad Strategies
It’s time to take text ad writing basics to the next level to increase clicks from people searching online. In addition to writing compelling text ad copy, there are a few advanced tactics you can try to optimize your text ads. Here are five tips to drive more clicks on your text ads from consumers searching for your products or services.
1. Research Your Competitors’ Text Ads
One of the most common requests we hear from our clients is to make their text ads stand out from their competitors’. First, research your competitors’ text ads by conducting a search for your top keywords and geographic location to see the sponsored ads that are already showing up for that search. You also need to know what your competitors are advertising, such as a seasonal offer or a special promotion of a product or service. It’s also important to take note of the content and keywords they are including in their ad copy. Then, write ad copy that clearly differentiates your ad from what’s already showing up in the sponsored results for your target keywords and area. And, make sure that if you choose to include an offer or promotion that it’s also present on your landing page, or it could negatively impact your quality score or cost per click.
2. Try Dynamic Keywords
Dynamic keyword insertion is an advanced tactic that can help you increase the click through rate of your text ad. The technique of dynamically inserting the specific keyword a consumer searched for into the copy of your ad, makes the consumer more likely to click on your ad if it displays an exact keyword match. If you do use dynamic keywords, ensure that all the keywords you are bidding on make sense when used in your text ad. It’s also important to make sure that all of the possible keywords are relevant to your landing page and destination URL to improve your quality score and the customer experience when someone clicks on your ad.
3. Create Ad Groups
Creating multiple ad groups enables you to create different text ads for the various types of keywords you are bidding on. Ad groups allow you to be more specific with your text ads to entice more clicks from people searching for the different types of products or services you offer. For instance, a dentist could create one ad group for teeth whitening and another ad group for dental implants. When someone searches for those specific products or services, the text ads that are relevant to those keywords are displayed, helping to increase the chances of a click.
4. Consider Ad Extensions
Available with Google AdWords, ad extensions enable you to include additional information with your text ad that is outside of the word count and text ad format. This not only provides additional space for your text ad copy, but including ad extensions can help improve your click through rate and quality score while providing additional conversion paths for your prospects. There are several types of ad extensions you can take advantage of, including extensions for your location, click-to-call number, site links, and products. For instance, the location extensions will display the physical location, and if your ad appears within the first three positions, your ad will also include a drop-down link to Google Maps. When using ad extensions, it’s also important to select the correct business icons and categories for those extensions that require them.
5. Test Different Text Ads
It’s important to test multiple ads with different products or services, promotions, and keywords in your text ad copy to see what combination works best for your search campaign. You can also test whether dynamic text ads and ad extensions increase the number of clicks you get from your ads. For instance, you could test one ad that’s enabled for dynamic keyword insertion and one that’s not. After testing different text ads for a couple of months, you’ll have a better idea of what factors have the biggest impact on the performance of your search advertising campaign.
Which of these text ad strategies have you tried? What other tactics do you recommend for optimizing your text ads for clicks?
Two more tips:
1.) Understand the search terms that are causing clickers to bounce off your website or landing page, and see if you need to add terms to your negative keywords list. This may or may not improve CTR, but it will help ensure that the clicks you are getting are actually relevant to what you sell. For example, if you offer something that’s not free, you might want to add “free” to your negative keyword list and eliminate all the wasted clicks coming from cheapskates.
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]