IBM Online Retail Index Points to a Strong Holiday Season
As retailers start to gear up for the holiday shopping season, IBM is offering an early glimpse of some of the hot online buying trends from over the past three months, a few of which may might surprise you.
- Consumers Will Shop This Holiday: Online sales in the third quarter increased by 3.1 percent over the second quarter providing a strong indication that consumers are preparing to spend.
- The Ad is Back: Positive sentiment around ads grew to 21.3 percent, more than twice the amount of negative sentiment, which demonstrates that the power and influence of the advertisement remains strong.
- Online Coupons: Consumers voiced growing enthusiasm around the advantages of online coupons which helped grow positive sentiment around the online experience to 24.3 percent, more than double the negative sentiment.
The IBM Retail Online Index integrates factual marketplace data from the IBM Data Analytics Benchmark with insights from the IBM Social Sentiment Index. The combination of these two provides the most accurate and immediate snap shot on the state of the online retail market. Some additional findings from IBM’s Retail Online Index for the third quarter include:
- Home Goods: Online sales of home goods grew by 8.9 percent.
- Department Stores: Online sales for department stores grew by 3.9 percent.
- Multi-Channel Experience: Departments stores demonstrated the importance of a strong on and offline presence, with positive sentiment around the in-store experience reaching 22.8 percent and online topping out at 24.3 percent, both more than double the negative sentiment.
- Convenience: Whether in-store or online convenience was critical. According the Index positive sentiment around convenience reached an astounding 67.3 percent, more than six times the negative sentiment which came in at 10.3 percent.
- Overall Consumer Sentiment is High: Positive consumer sentiment toward department stores was 35.4 percent, three times that of negative sentiment which came in at 11 percent.
These are just a few highlights from the IBM Online Retail Index, but all signs point to a strong holiday season. IBM’s Global Retail Leader Jill Puleri (pictured) breaks down the findings on IBM’s “Building A Smarter Planet” blog.
Read More ...
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
IBM Online Retail Index Points to a Strong Holiday SeasonAs retailers start to gear up for the holiday shopping season, IBM is offering an early glimpse of some of the hot [...] more...
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013 ADOTAS (via WordStream) — Here’s why I think Yahoo is [...] more »
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined May 21st 2013 ADOTAS — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be [...] more »
- Video: Xbox Reveal, 5/21/13 May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft unveiled its next-generation Xbox today at a [...] more »
- Live Twitter Feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined: [...] — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be unveiled today, has produced 66,000
- Ben Straley responds to Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? - Rio SEO Blog: [...] Original article posted here [...]
- New Solution to OpenX OnRamp Shutdown | Adcolt: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2013/02/update-malware-attack-permanently-shuts-down-openx-onramp/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading... This entry was posted in Uncategorized
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]