IBM Online Retail Index Points to a Strong Holiday Season
As retailers start to gear up for the holiday shopping season, IBM is offering an early glimpse of some of the hot online buying trends from over the past three months, a few of which may might surprise you.
- Consumers Will Shop This Holiday: Online sales in the third quarter increased by 3.1 percent over the second quarter providing a strong indication that consumers are preparing to spend.
- The Ad is Back: Positive sentiment around ads grew to 21.3 percent, more than twice the amount of negative sentiment, which demonstrates that the power and influence of the advertisement remains strong.
- Online Coupons: Consumers voiced growing enthusiasm around the advantages of online coupons which helped grow positive sentiment around the online experience to 24.3 percent, more than double the negative sentiment.
The IBM Retail Online Index integrates factual marketplace data from the IBM Data Analytics Benchmark with insights from the IBM Social Sentiment Index. The combination of these two provides the most accurate and immediate snap shot on the state of the online retail market. Some additional findings from IBM’s Retail Online Index for the third quarter include:
- Home Goods: Online sales of home goods grew by 8.9 percent.
- Department Stores: Online sales for department stores grew by 3.9 percent.
- Multi-Channel Experience: Departments stores demonstrated the importance of a strong on and offline presence, with positive sentiment around the in-store experience reaching 22.8 percent and online topping out at 24.3 percent, both more than double the negative sentiment.
- Convenience: Whether in-store or online convenience was critical. According the Index positive sentiment around convenience reached an astounding 67.3 percent, more than six times the negative sentiment which came in at 10.3 percent.
- Overall Consumer Sentiment is High: Positive consumer sentiment toward department stores was 35.4 percent, three times that of negative sentiment which came in at 11 percent.
These are just a few highlights from the IBM Online Retail Index, but all signs point to a strong holiday season. IBM’s Global Retail Leader Jill Puleri (pictured) breaks down the findings on IBM’s “Building A Smarter Planet” blog.
Read More ...
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than