Study: Video Viewers Are Tuning Out, Logging In
Specifically, Ooyala data shows long-form video content like movies, sports and TV shows accounted for more than 60 percent of the total time users spent watching video online in Q2. The share of time tablet viewers spent watching long-form videos grew 47 percent in a single quarter.
“Ooyala’s data reveals that the way people watch TV is changing,” said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer of Ooyala. “As more premium content becomes available online, more viewers are logging on, rather than tuning in, to watch their favorite programming on tablets and smart TVs. Consumers are leading the charge, and forward-thinking media companies realize that content is content, however it is consumed. Our data, and our data-driven video innovation, help these companies develop online strategies that increase their share of connected viewers to capture more digital dollars.”
The ability to monitor the impact of various demographic variables on video consumption is a boon to publishers and advertisers. For example, As the US political season heats up, Ooyala tracked how different states watch online video across America. The data shows that “Blue State” viewers (states in which the Democratic candidate won the last U.S. presidential election in 2008) watch 26 percent more online video than “Red State” viewers (where the Republican presidential candidate won in 2008).
Other highlights from the Q2 2012 Global Video Index report include:
- Around the World in 80 Plays: In Great Britain, 15 percent of the total time spent watching online video occurs on mobile phones and tablets. In China, this number is 11 percent.
- Live Video On The Rise: PC viewers tuned in to live videos for an average of 33 minutes in Q2.
- Big Screens, Big Content: When using smart TVs, set-top boxes and gaming consoles, viewers spend 93 percent of their time watching movies, TV shows and other long-form videos.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – The first-ever Westchester Digital Summit was held on May [...] more »
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Strong marketing strategies attract attention and build the [...] more »
- Adotas Poll: Tremor Video IPO Would Be A Success May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – In this week’s poll, we asked our readers: [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – We’ve asked our esteemed panel of industry thought [...] more »
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – Tony Stark aka Iron Man is restless. The [...] more »
- Pandora is First Digital Publisher to Offer e-Business Advertising Integration into Media Buying Platforms May 16th 2013 OAKLAND, CALIF., May 15, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Pandora (NYSE: P), [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game May 15th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Backlinks uk: Within search engine optimisation (SEO), one way links reference hyper-links aiming to a distinct Website
- energy-physics: Media.net is a fantastic ad program. But now a days I cant customize their ads.
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? – Adotas | Social Media Strategy Plan: [...] Permalink [...]
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements?: [...] “What will be the impact of the big announcements coming out of this week’s