Study: Video Viewers Are Tuning Out, Logging In
Specifically, Ooyala data shows long-form video content like movies, sports and TV shows accounted for more than 60 percent of the total time users spent watching video online in Q2. The share of time tablet viewers spent watching long-form videos grew 47 percent in a single quarter.
“Ooyala’s data reveals that the way people watch TV is changing,” said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer of Ooyala. “As more premium content becomes available online, more viewers are logging on, rather than tuning in, to watch their favorite programming on tablets and smart TVs. Consumers are leading the charge, and forward-thinking media companies realize that content is content, however it is consumed. Our data, and our data-driven video innovation, help these companies develop online strategies that increase their share of connected viewers to capture more digital dollars.”
The ability to monitor the impact of various demographic variables on video consumption is a boon to publishers and advertisers. For example, As the US political season heats up, Ooyala tracked how different states watch online video across America. The data shows that “Blue State” viewers (states in which the Democratic candidate won the last U.S. presidential election in 2008) watch 26 percent more online video than “Red State” viewers (where the Republican presidential candidate won in 2008).
Other highlights from the Q2 2012 Global Video Index report include:
- Around the World in 80 Plays: In Great Britain, 15 percent of the total time spent watching online video occurs on mobile phones and tablets. In China, this number is 11 percent.
- Live Video On The Rise: PC viewers tuned in to live videos for an average of 33 minutes in Q2.
- Big Screens, Big Content: When using smart TVs, set-top boxes and gaming consoles, viewers spend 93 percent of their time watching movies, TV shows and other long-form videos.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than